Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army Medical services

Options
  • 01-05-2010 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Does anyone know whether there are opportunities to work as a biomedical scientist in the Irish/British army or other? Thanks much appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

The Australian Defence Forces are looking for full time and part time Science Officers for both research and medical. No idea about the BA. As for the Defence Forces, we barely have medical doctors let alone scientists!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Enter discus.

Yeah, you can go in as a biomed ab initio, or go in accredited. If you are accredited by IAMLS (that's the right one, yeah?) you can go straight into the army as a biomed, and get a welcome of a few thousand euro. If you are unaccredited, you have to go in, but they send you on phase 1 (bootcamp) then you get paid to go between college and the barracks for 3 years. It's a co terminus degree - you work in a hospital for the hours you're not in college. Very practical.

Its currently oversold, so you'd be hard pressed to get in without the biomed accred as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

concussion wrote: »
    The Australian Defence Forces are looking for full time and part time Science Officers for both research and medical.

But wouldn't the OP have to be Australian?!!! I only say that because an Irishman/woman can join the DF or the BA but as far as I know you have to be an Australian citizen to join the Aussies!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 biomedgirl

discus wrote: »
    Enter discus.

Yeah, you can go in as a biomed ab initio, or go in accredited. If you are accredited by IAMLS (that's the right one, yeah?) you can go straight into the army as a biomed, and get a welcome of a few thousand euro. If you are unaccredited, you have to go in, but they send you on phase 1 (bootcamp) then you get paid to go between college and the barracks for 3 years. It's a co terminus degree - you work in a hospital for the hours you're not in college. Very practical.

Its currently oversold, so you'd be hard pressed to get in without the biomed accred as far as I know.

Yeah Im finished college next year and would be fully qualified then by AMLS then. I was looking at the irish army website and it didnt turn up anything, how did you hear about this? Im presuming I wouldn't have to do the initial year long training as a qualified biomed..? Most of the other medical services dont seem to have to do that. Im looking at in as am very interested in overseas work and on the field etc. Hmmmm any more info would be greatly appreciated!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 biomedgirl

piby wrote: »
    But wouldn't the OP have to be Australian?!!! I only say that because an Irishman/woman can join the DF or the BA but as far as I know you have to be an Australian citizen to join the Aussies!

Nope new changes. You have to be a resident for a certain number of years with the intention of applying for citizenship when you are eligible:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

The ADF is one of the few that will take if you are a Permanant Resident. If you fulfill all criteria but the time in-country you can join on the proviso that you apply, and are approved for citizenship. They require a minimum commitment of 3 months for full time or 6 months for Reserves. There are new rules coming in at the start of June, I don't know if this will affect the Australian DF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

PM sent. good luck - and spend the money unwisely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

biomedgirl wrote: »
    Yeah Im finished college next year and would be fully qualified then by AMLS then. I was looking at the irish army website and it didnt turn up anything, how did you hear about this? Im presuming I wouldn't have to do the initial year long training as a qualified biomed..? Most of the other medical services dont seem to have to do that. Im looking at in as am very interested in overseas work and on the field etc. Hmmmm any more info would be greatly appreciated!:)

Sorry, my mistake, I was refering to the British Army. I think the Irish Defence Forces just use local hospitals for biomed services, I've never seen them recruit one!

The British Army don't only require you to do boot camp, you have to pass the fitness test to get in.

Advertisement