Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army Medical services

Options
  • 01-05-2010 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Does anyone know if there are opportunities for Biomedical scientists in the army be it Irish, British or other??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

biomedgirl wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there are opportunities for Biomedical scientists in the army be it Irish, British or other??

Irish; No.

Brits/Others dunno, look on the mod jobs site.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Sitric

Biomed girl, i'd suggest looking at the RAF, I think they still have their own hospitals, the army in the UK has been been moving towards closing their own and using civilian hospitals. I may be totally wrong but it may be worth checking out.

To ask another question, has anyone here any experience or heard of anyone working as a medical officer in the Irish Army? I know they officially will take people on short term(1 yr) commissions, with overseas experience. I was just wondering if anyone had actually done this and if there is a difference between officially and what happens in practice. It seems like a decent way to do a yrs humanitarian work to me.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Irish Defence Forces Medical Corps

Don't they have a hospital St Bricins off Infirmary Rd?

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Malmedicine

Sitric wrote: »

To ask another question, has anyone here any experience or heard of anyone working as a medical officer in the Irish Army? I know they officially will take people on short term(1 yr) commissions, with overseas experience. I was just wondering if anyone had actually done this and if there is a difference between officially and what happens in practice. It seems like a decent way to do a yrs humanitarian work to me.

Thanks

Also interested in this if anyone has more info it would be greatly appreciated

Would it be possible to move this over to military?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Would it be possible to move this over to military?

It hasn't attracted many replies here, so perhaps the military types would know the answers. I'll leave it here for another few days, and if there's still not much action I'll move it then.

If you join the DF as a a medical officer you join via direct entry and start off as a captain...its not as romantic as you imagine...if you go overseas your job is to tend for the troops with you...not to go save the dark children like a msf person. Your a GP for a young, fit , population so most things you'll get are lads trying to get off a duty with a note from the Medical Officer. Obviously the job would be very good while overseas but thats only for 6 months at a time...

Its a dead end career wise and CPD wise. Maybe it would be fun to go see some ****hole in Africa without the danger of being beheaded that you get with other agencies.

Heres a recent report on the medical corps here; http://tinyurl.com/3yborv3

Take a look at the Brits if you're interested in being a medical officer. They have good deals for undergrads.

That is an ignorant, racist reply.

MOD NOTE, @ Sitric: If you think so, use the 'report post' function. Apart from 2 slightly questionable references ("dark children" and "Brits"), I didn't see it as ignorant nor as overly racist, but then I'm old enough to recall charity boxes being passed around "for the black babies". If you report the post, the mods will reach a decision on what to do about it. However, by commenting in thread, you're running the risk of being infracted yourself for Back Seat Modding.

Edit; on re-reading, the beheading reference is a bit close to the bone too.

mrmeindl wrote: »
    If you join the DF as a a medical officer you join via direct entry and start off as a captain...its not as romantic as you imagine...if you go overseas your job is to tend for the troops with you...not to go save the dark children like a msf person. Your a GP for a young, fit , population so most things you'll get are lads trying to get off a duty with a note from the Medical Officer. Obviously the job would be very good while overseas but thats only for 6 months at a time...

Its a dead end career wise and CPD wise. Maybe it would be fun to go see some ****hole in Africa without the danger of being beheaded that you get with other agencies.

Heres a recent report on the medical corps here; http://tinyurl.com/3yborv3

Take a look at the Brits if you're interested in being a medical officer. They have good deals for undergrads.

MOD NOTE, @ Mrmeindl: Please try to be a little more careful about the terms you use to describe other nationalities. You might not see somehing as racist, but others may. If in doubt, please err on the side of caution.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, apologies.

I had no intention to cause offense but would you feel so hurt and offended if I said Irish people are white? Its just a word, you can interpret in whatever way you like.
    Brits is just a shorted version of British people and in this context I meant British Army/Armed forces. Take whatever meaning out of it that you want.
    MOD NOTE, @ Sitric: If you think so, use the 'report post' function. Apart from 2 slightly questionable references ("dark children" and "Brits"), I didn't see it as ignorant nor as overly racist, but then I'm old enough to recall charity boxes being passed around "for the black babies". If you report the post, the mods will reach a decision on what to do about it. However, by commenting in thread, you're running the risk of being infracted yourself for Back Seat Modding.

Edit; on re-reading, the beheading reference is a bit close to the bone too.

Sorry, I should've phrased it differently.
    MOD NOTE, @ Mrmeindl: Please try to be a little more careful about the terms you use to describe other nationalities. You might not see somehing as racist, but others may. If in doubt, please err on the side of caution.

Sorry for any offense caused, It wasn't intentional. I'll edit the post. EDIT; dont seem to be able to do that.

Thanks you both.
    Now, back on topic please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 felchspoon

Advertisement