Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW auto adjuster clutch cable/pedal problems?

Options
  • 01-05-2010 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭

The car a 01 VW Polo Classic 4 door SALOON 1.4 with the infamous self adjusting clutch cable. The orignal problem very heavy clutch with a clutch pedal that is too high.

This started with what I can only call an argicultural style clutch that needed stamping on to depress it. I was going to replace the clutch cable but disconnected the old one at both ends and had no problem reseting the automatic adjuster. Checked cable with the adjuster locked up (white locking straps locked in place) and virtually no resistance in cable. Looked at pedal box with bottom half of dash removed and can't see any problem there, no play, no obvious wear, both rubber clutch stops top/bottom still in place and no signs of a previous repair. Put the cable back and released the locking straps and clutch is heavy but nothing like as bad as it was. Worst problem now is the clutch pedal is about 3/4inch higher than the brake pedal which isn't right as I guess the alignment should be both brake and clutch pedals at the same height?

Any suggestions? I've no intention of taking it to a main dealer and can do most of the work myself (except perhaps removing the stearing wheel to replace the pedal box). I'd almost be inclined to replace the upper rubber pedal stop with a bolt and a couple of nuts so I can adjust the pedal down a bit but I'm not sure if that is OK, I think it would still leave some free play on the release bearing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Maybe it's not the cable that's at fault.......? It is possible that the either the pressure plate or release bearing has collapsed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

crosstownk wrote: »
    Maybe it's not the cable that's at fault.......? It is possible that the either the pressure plate or release bearing has collapsed.

How would I know? The clutch works, makes no noises and doesn't have any "feel" other than being heavy and high and bites at about the right point take the slack out and it would just be a heavy clutch. I've had both pressure plates and release bearings go on cars years back and you can normally "feel" or hear something wrong? I've not checked fully but from what I have read online the clutch actuating leaver sits at the correct angle that would tend to indicate its not the first port of call but if it has to be done it has to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭mercservices

Heavey and high would be a good indication of a pressure plate bein knackered. done a good few of them at this stage.

Thanks mercservices but can you explain why? I can't really see by the constuction of the pedal box how the pedal will ever be lower? I'm not arguing that it doesn't need a new clutch but I'd like to understand the symptoms a bit more, but I might just drop it into someone I know and get a new clutch anyway as the car doesn't owe me anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭mercservices

ttm wrote: »
    Thanks mercservices but can you explain why? I can't really see by the constuction of the pedal box how the pedal will ever be lower? I'm not arguing that it doesn't need a new clutch but I'd like to understand the symptoms a bit more, but I might just drop it into someone I know and get a new clutch anyway as the car doesn't owe me anything.

the height of the pedal will be set by the amount of slack on the cable, they give trouble alright. any ideas what he gonna charge ya?

• Advertisement

the height of the pedal will be set by the amount of slack on the cable, they give trouble alright. any ideas what he gonna charge ya?

But the cable is only hooked on at the pedal end so any slack means the cable could come off?

I normally get a good deal but don't like to take him too much stuff as it does seem the price I get is very cheap.

Just a quick update if anyone is interested, taken another look and this is the most annoying weird problem I've ever come across, because while I've read a few other reports of the problem online no one has an answer. Its like the reverse of the Polo pedal box problem, instead of getting lower the clutch has got higher.

Anyway I can discount any problems at the clutch end as no matter what happens there (I can get someone to move the clutch actuating lever) the pedal stays up high. I'm not saying I don't need a new clutch but its not part of the high pedal problem. There is a slightly grooved rubber stop that needs replacing that will move the pedal back down a fraction but not that much.

Advertisement