Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing carrots in a container

Options
  • 01-05-2010 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

I've got a large dustbin - 18" diameter x 18" deep and I'd like to have a go at growing some show carrots.

I've got a Which? Best Buy compost - New Horizon Organic peat free - and intend to mix some soil and sharp sand through it. Can anyone recommend a ratio of these?

I also was going to put a layer of well-rotted manure in the bottom to encourage them to grow down. Is this agood idea and if so what depth of manure?

Would welcome any other advice. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭glanman

manure makes root vegetables fork...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Yes, if mixed through the growing medium but not at the bottom as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

i did this last year.

after all the effort . it was a waste of time. every one forked into a twisted mess. With westfield peetfree compost only in the tub.

have a tub started this year with shamrock .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Got carrots on the go this year (first time) I have the seedlings growing in a mixture of homemade compost and earth/old shamrock stuff from previous pots.

I hope to transfer some to a prepared bed as well as growing some in deep containers. This year is really an experiment with a slightly haphazard approach. Any idea how deep the containers should ideally be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Got carrots on the go this year (first time) I have the seedlings growing in a mixture of homemade compost and earth/old shamrock stuff from previous pots.

I hope to transfer some to a prepared bed as well as growing some in deep containers. This year is really an experiment with a slightly haphazard approach. Any idea how deep the containers should ideally be.

I would think, at least 12" +

Buckets with a few holes drilled in the bace are suitable

• Advertisement
Advertisement