Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do car batteries take water ?

Options
  • 01-05-2010 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭

Probably a silly question but do car batteries need to be topped up or are they sealed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

No batteries and water don't mix well.

They do take acid though but you cannot top it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

nowadays batteries are usually sealed. In the old days when I was alive last century, you had to regulalarly top them up with distilled water.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

You can Top it up only with Dionised Water

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

Barr wrote: »
    Probably a silly question but do car batteries need to be topped up or are they sealed.

Really old school batteries used de-ionised water afaik. Today however no.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Lead-Acid batteries sometimes need to be topped up with distilled water due to the water lost during electrolysis whilst charging. If the level drops too low then it can damage the cells.

Depending on the battery these should around 3 caps on the top which screw off (either with a large flat head screwdriver or some just screw off by hand), where you can see the level and cells clearly. Be careful as sulfuric acid does irritate the skin and can burn through clothes - the amount of jeans I've got which are unwearable due to leaking batteries :o

Large HGV/LGV batteries often need topping up and charging as they are bridged in 2x12v or 4x6v groups which caused advanced deterioration of the cells.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭analfabets

macroman wrote: »
    Depending on the battery these should around 3 caps on the top which screw off

Car battery would have 6 caps precisely. 2v each cell. As mentioned before most of the batteries these days are sealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

if you do find you need a considerable amount of water in your battery ,it can indicate that there is a fault in your alternator,which could be overcharging,
    (as said above, last century stuff)
    Rugbyman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

macroman wrote: »
    Lead-Acid batteries sometimes need to be topped up with distilled water

Curiosity killed the cat but what is distilled water? Someone once told me its rain water that has fell directly from the sky and cannot be contaminated by any metal, so hence would need to be collected in a non metal container. Is it this simple?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

Curiosity killed the cat but what is distilled water? Someone once told me its rain water that has fell directly from the sky and cannot be contaminated by any metal, so hence would need to be collected in a non metal container. Is it this simple?

Water that has pretty much all the impurities removed through distilling it.

Basically extra pure water. Tap water contains trace elements of many different things. The idea is distilled water doesn't. Distiled water in theory will not corrode the batteries parts whilst other elements may contain ions which could do damage...

Feel free to correct me, this is all from memory...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Distilled water is water that has been evaporated (often by boiling) and then condensed, which exactly what rain water is. It is very pure as it contains very little salts and solids.
    However rain water can be contaminated by pollutants in the atmosphere (e.g acid rain). You're correct about the non-metal container.

Deionised water is also a purifed water which contains very little salts and solids. It's just produced by a different process to distilled water and is cheaper to produce commercially since it doesn't involve boiling/condensing. Both distilled and deionised are pure enough for a battery.

I haven't seen an un-sealed car battery in years, I doubt you can even buy them anymore.

• Advertisement

As said above if there are removable caps on the cells you can top up with distilled water :) Shouldn't need to though to be honest.

Advertisement