Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nooby - advice wanted

Options
  • 01-05-2010 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Hi,

Am looking to buy my first car at the moment and would really appreciate it if anyone can give me a few pointers:

so, basically I don't know much about cars and will probably have to go looking at them by myself (first major issue is that I can't yet drive which means I'll have to get my girlfriend to test-drive it for me, and she knows little about cars also!)

Unfortunately I don't have anyone that can come with me to check it out that knows what they are talking about, time constraints and mostly people with no knowledge are the reasons. Do you think it's madess to go ahead and do it alone? - (it will be from a garage by the way and not a private purchase). I do however know a mechanic that can throw a once-over look at it when I get it back home (at least it will get checked within its warranty period right?)

What should I look at when viewing the car myself, are there any specific areas of note I should focus on?

The car in question is a 2004 VW Golf Petrol 1.4 (71,000 miles) 4 previous owners, NCT up in July 2010.

Really appreciate the help folks and thanks in advance! ;)

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

First check out sites like this: http://www.cbg.ie/buyingadvice.aspx#whatlookfor

They have checklists on what to look out for on buying second hand.

Second, its good to have a mechanic check out the car for you... it will cost you a few quid to get someone to check the car (AA offer this service) but doing this will give you peace of mind that you aint buying something that will fall apart 2 weeks later.

Third, check the history of the car by going to www.cartell.ie or www.mywheels.ie
    you need to be sure that there is no finance outstanding on the car, as if there is, the car is technically the ownership of the bank who financed it, and they can reposess the car from you.

Additionally this check will make sure the car wasnt a write off thats been put back on the road.

All I will say is take your time with it, as you dont want to rush in and make a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I wouldnt buy a 2004 golf to learn how to drive,buy something older IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

JayC5 wrote: »
    Hi,

Am looking to buy my first car at the moment and would really appreciate it if anyone can give me a few pointers:

so, basically I don't know much about cars and will probably have to go looking at them by myself (first major issue is that I can't yet drive which means I'll have to get my girlfriend to test-drive it for me, and she knows little about cars also!)

Unfortunately I don't have anyone that can come with me to check it out that knows what they are talking about, time constraints and mostly people with no knowledge are the reasons. Do you think it's madess to go ahead and do it alone? - (it will be from a garage by the way and not a private purchase). I do however know a mechanic that can throw a once-over look at it when I get it back home (at least it will get checked within its warranty period right?)

What should I look at when viewing the car myself, are there any specific areas of note I should focus on?

The car in question is a 2004 VW Golf Petrol 1.4 (71,000 miles) 4 previous owners, NCT up in July 2010.

Really appreciate the help folks and thanks in advance! ;)

J
    Too late once you have bought it. Relying on a warranty is a bad mistake.

On a car that's more than a couple of years old most dealers would only offer a 3 month warranty on major failures of the engine and gearbox. A mechanic might diagnose something that might not fail within the warranty but could go soon after.

Things like worn clutch, tyres, brake pads and discs are consumables and won't be covered, and don't expect them to fix small defects either. Most defects are relatively small and niggly but if you get a lot of them you can find yourself spending a lot on repairs.

You might also find you bought a car that was crashed or just a heap and although it may be mechanically sound it may not be worth the money you paid for it. Not all crashes or damages are claimed against insurance and so won't be recorded on websites such as Cartell.ie

If the dealer is sound he shouldn't mind letting your mechanic look it over, so do anything in your power to get your mechanic's opinion before you buy it otherwise you might regret buying something you end up hating.

PS seeing as the NCT is due in July I would also expect the dealer to get the NCT renewed and fix any failures at his expense. The test can be done 3mths in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭JayC5

Cheers for the replies, appreciated.

I'll take my time with it, just pssed off about getting let down all the time going to garages and the car already gone (I ring ahead in advance before I go but for some reason the deal is done before I get there!!!)

Other garages keep messing me around with organising a viewing, I rang one place 4 times and they kept saying they'll get back to me! Are we not in a recession and do they not need the business? - I'm at the other end of the line with 6k cash in a bag and they're fobbing me off... what's that all about?

Yeah I hear ya about learning to drive with a 04 golf, I'm an older driver though and sensible, don't think it'll be an issue.

Thanks again folks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Cheers for the replies, appreciated.

I'll take my time with it, just pssed off about getting let down all the time going to garages and the car already gone (I ring ahead in advance before I go but for some reason the deal is done before I get there!!!)

Other garages keep messing me around with organising a viewing, I rang one place 4 times and they kept saying they'll get back to me! Are we not in a recession and do they not need the business? - I'm at the other end of the line with 6k cash in a bag and they're fobbing me off... what's that all about?

Yeah I hear ya about learning to drive with a 04 golf, I'm an older driver though and sensible, don't think it'll be an issue.

Thanks again folks

Seriously, why would you want to spend that much money on your first car?:confused:. What kind of money are you talking about for your insurance? Save it for that. I would be spending about a grand to 2 max in case I stuck it in a ditch or something;). Get something a bit older first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Hi,

Sorry but have you any license?
    If you don't, get your girlfriend to bring the car to private property and have a small drive of it yourself. As you will be the one driving the car in the future. I found out when testing cars that some where uncomfortable to drive.
    Also get a quote before making up your mind on a car as you might not be insured on it. Also build the insurance quote value into buying the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭JayC5

Thanks again, yeah I factored in insurance - got a quote for 1k for the car in question, I have a provisional license also,

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Seriously, why would you want to spend that much money on your first car?confused.gif. What kind of money are you talking about for your insurance? Save it for that.I would be spending about a grand to 2 max in case I stuck it in a ditch or somethingwink.gif. Get something a bit older first.

why the hell not? If he can afford the car and wants it why shouldnt he?

Plus the cars 6 years old its hardly brand new.:rolleyes:

I say go for it op if thats the car you want. Just dont wrap it round a tree!

If your looking at Golf's maybe check out some Ford Focus's, etc as well to get a feel for what else might suit you.

And just to be different and as an alfa driver myself why not check out a 1.6 Alfa 147 or 156 like these...

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Alfa-Romeo/147/1.6-T-SP/201013197443868/advert?channel=CARS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Alfa-Romeo/156/1.6-Luss/201015197599664/advert?channel=CARS

Probably cheaper than the golf your looking at, only a slightly bigger engine so insurance should be very similar maybe no change and slightly higher tax band.
    These come with a new NCT's too so cant go too far wrong.

Whatever you go for good luck with it and take her handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Hey

If you like the car, pay to have your friend to look it over and take a test drive yourself. Then get the garage to get the NCT which should show up any major problems with the car.
    My first car was a 1.5 and was found it easy to drive. All the best with your first car and better to get a car you like:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Seriously, why would you want to spend that much money on your first car?confused.gif. What kind of money are you talking about for your insurance? Save it for that.I would be spending about a grand to 2 max in case I stuck it in a ditch or somethingwink.gif. Get something a bit older first.

why the hell not? If he can afford the car and wants it why shouldnt he?

Plus the cars 6 years old its hardly brand new.:rolleyes:

I say go for it op if thats the car you want. Just dont wrap it round a tree!

If your looking at Golf's maybe check out some Ford Focus's, etc as well to get a feel for what else might suit you.

And just to be different and as an alfa driver myself why not check out a 1.6 Alfa 147 or 156 like these...

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Alfa-Romeo/147/1.6-T-SP/201013197443868/advert?channel=CARS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Alfa-Romeo/156/1.6-Luss/201015197599664/advert?channel=CARS

Probably cheaper than the golf your looking at, only a slightly bigger engine so insurance should be very similar maybe no change and slightly higher tax band.
    These come with a new NCT's too so cant go too far wrong.

Whatever you go for good luck with it and take her handy!

Thats why!;).If it does happen then thats 6k down the loo.I think its silly buying a first car for that price.How much driving experience have you got OP?After a few years maybe ok fair enough.Dont know your age, driving record etc but 6k for car, then assuming you are under 27 maybe 1500-2000 grand for insurance:eek:.Over 27 maybe a bit less, but not alot so all in all big money.Get a cheaper car until more experience, full licence etc and then go for it.Just my opinion, its your money but thats what I would do but hey!Only my opinion:)

If do buy it, definitely get someone competent to drive/check it before you buy it

• Advertisement
Advertisement