Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

05 polo problem

Options
  • 01-05-2010 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hi Guys
    Just on the off chance, would anyone know what this problem might be on my 05 VW Polo. Basically last night on the way home from work, a warning light in the shape of an engine came up on my dash, then the car was looseing power when i was accelerating, not cutting out just chugging, fuel and oil all ok. cant get near a garage till Monday, if anyone could give me some ideas what this may be, it would be great. I may as well be looking into a bush Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

Sounds like one of the coils has packed up, happens most of them, they're almost as bad as Renaults nowadays. Not a good idea to drive it like this it could damage the cat. converter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 kidloco

Thanks Ali
    Am i looking at big dollars if i take it to MSL? do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

The main dealer part is actually cheaper than the spurious part believe it or not! They're about 40 euros each and easy to fit, if the dealers aren't open you could try a motorfactors, just be prepared to spend more, about five euros more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Don't bother jumping to conclusions. Get the car diagnosed to find out the cause of the problem, buying coils for the sake of coils could be a waste of money.

The exact same symptoms happened to my Mother's 02 Polo, and it ended up being a temperature sensor. 5 minutes with my code reader, and I had it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Where in the country are you? If you're in Cork I'll diagnose it for you no probs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 kidloco

Thanks guys. I am in Dublin South. No panic. I will drop it to the dealer on Monday and let him deal with it. Thanks again for all your help and offers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 shamrock105

The exact same symptoms happened to my Mother's 02 Polo, and it ended up being a temperature sensor. 5 minutes with my code reader, and I had it sorted.

and when it happened to me it was a faulty fuel injector.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

If its One of the 1.2 3 Cylinders Could be Crank Speed Sensor Do you get Power then its goes for a Few Moments and Returns? I had Same Problem On my Ibiza Same engine Wasnt The Coils Cheaper Job if its Crank Speed Sensor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Came across a very similar problem recently on a 04 Polo.
    The EPC warning came on and the rev's were jumping.
    In my case i just took out the spark plugs and cleaned them.
    Car has bein running fine since. simple measure that you could try
    1st, if no improvement, it'd be best to get it checked out by a mechanic.
    Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

kidloco wrote: »
    Am i looking at big dollars if i take it to MSL? do you think?
    I'd avoid that at all costs. I used to use JetStar on Kill Avenue, but I wasn't too impressed with their work either last time. Maybe someone could recommend a good independent local to you?

• Advertisement
Advertisement