Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camelia Japonica problem

Options
  • 01-05-2010 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭

I have two Camelia Japonica pot plants in my conservatory, both about 18 months old and about 400 mm high. They are watered regularly as their soils become dry to the touch (but not dried out until the leaves wilt). I feed them with a fertilzer pellet that's supposed to be for potted shrubs at frequencies dictated by the label.

The problem is that both plants flower profusely at this time of year, but the flowers all fall off even before they've fully formed. In some cases buds fall of before they have even started to open. Anyone any ideas what's happening?

I have to admit that my knowledge of gardening is pretty much limited to reading a label and hopin for the best:p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Burgess5

I suspect your problem is to do with humidity. Your conservatory may be too hot and dry for the Camellias. Camellias can really take the cold. I have lost quite a few shrubs over the past winter, but not my Camellia. It might be worth moving them outside to a partly shaded area - not full sun and not a windy spot either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Burgess5 wrote: »
    I suspect your problem is to do with humidity. Your conservatory may be too hot and dry for the Camellias. Camellias can really take the cold. I have lost quite a few shrubs over the past winter, but not my Camellia. It might be worth moving them outside to a partly shaded area - not full sun and not a windy spot either.

Thanks Burgess5. I was thinking it must be something to do with the conservatory. From what reading I have found on Japonica it begins to look like using them as indoor plants was not a good idea. I'll do as you suggest.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I'd say heat is your main problem, but Camelias prefering moist but not wet soils can be problematic. They prefer shaded cool areas. Also lack of nutrients can also be a contributing factor.

Ocassionally, Camelias can suffer from mites which can cause the undeveloped buds to fall off.

Camelias should not as a general rule be planted indoors and least of all in a conservatory - too much heat, too much light and probably too dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I'd say heat is your main problem, but Camelias prefering moist but not wet soils can be problematic. They prefer shaded cool areas. Also lack of nutrients can also be a contributing factor.

Ocassionally, Camelias can suffer from mites which can cause the undeveloped buds to fall off.

Camelias should not as a general rule be planted indoors and least of all in a conservatory - too much heat, too much light and probably too dry.

Thanks for that. Point taken. They are going to get set free outdoors:D

Advertisement