Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance question

Options
  • 01-05-2010 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭

I have fully comp insurance which allows me to drive another car on a third party basis. My other half is named on my policy too.

If she is out in my car am I covered to drive another car at the same time? I'm thinking probably not, but it's not explicitly excluded on my policy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

(my understanding) in general fully comp insurance allows you to have third party on another vehicle (if permitted to drive by the owner and the owner has fully comp insurance)

but you would need to read your own policy - talk to your own broker/insurance company to clarify.

I recently phoned about mine (to see if I can drive the girlfriends car) and I'm not allowed to drive another vehicle as I have commercial insurance and wouldnt be covered on a private car....so she would have to put me on her insurance in order for me to drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

PCPhoto wrote: »
    (my understanding) in general fully comp insurance allows you to have third party on another vehicle (if permitted to drive by the owner and the owner has fully comp insurance)

but you would need to read your own policy - talk to your own broker/insurance company to clarify.

Policy says nothing about the other car being fully comp - it just can't be owned by me or any named driver. I'd talk to my broker except it's Saturday and I need to know today...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

stimpson wrote: »
    Policy says nothing about the other car being fully comp - it just can't be owned by me or any named driver. I'd talk to my broker except it's Saturday and I need to know today...

All policys are different so dont try it. Murphys law and all that!!!

Try ringing the insurance company direct and asking them. If they arent open Saturdays ring the claim line and they MAY help you out and check it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

PCPhoto wrote: »

I recently phoned about mine (to see if I can drive the girlfriends car) and I'm not allowed to drive another vehicle as I have commercial insurance and wouldnt be covered on a private car....so she would have to put me on her insurance in order for me to drive it.

I dont think the other owner driver has to have fully comp, just that you have to have it and the other car has to be insured and its not your car and of course have their permission. Remember its third party cover from your insurance, not theirs.

Advertisement