Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this?

Options
  • 01-05-2010 3:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi,

I hope someone ca help with this, does anyone know what these are? They are all over my garden at present and I don't remember them being there before?

TIA,

Regards,
    Daz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

this is horsetail (Equisetum) and have heard that it is v difficult to get rid of , sorry to be the bearer of bad news:( . in the old days it was used as a pot scourer it contains silica and is abrasive when scrunched up. has herbal uses too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

nightmare stuff to get rid of:mad: Seems to be immune to weed killers, unless you bruise it first. Also digging it out is difficult as it roots are rhizomes

But if it's in your lawn you'll be fine, just keep mowing and it won't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭smoochie06

I have the same in my gravel driveway. I read that the root network can be as deep as 1.5 metres. (I cant find the link now). My neighbour has it coming up through a section of his tarmac driveway. So i reckon its vey aggressive

So far what i have done is pulled all the weeds and dug out as much of the root as possible. Covered the area with plastic sheeting and covered it over with gravel. Im hoping that works.

If anyone has any better ideas i would love to hear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

They've been around since before the dinosaurs, so I'd say eradicating them is unlikely. Apparently they could grow to 40feet+ back then, so at least they are smaller now. I'm lucky I only have them growing in an area of lawn.

I have seen them pushing through tarmac aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TskTsk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

It definitely looks like horsetail although I've only seen a smaller version round here...
    It's trouble, big trouble, you need to act fast before its a total disater..

Sister had this in two raised beds a few years ago, the only answer was to remove the beds-dig our soil 3 feet dep and grass over..

This stuff will spread under the ground and aparrently in cuttings so be careful if you plan to strim/chop it too much...

I'd be trying neat roundup or diesel and dab it on the plants...

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Sneachta

its looks evil, kinda like the Triffids

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is it only in damp areas they grow?? (near rivers lakes)

Advertisement