Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BA Honours course in Pulse, anyone got any info? Done it / know someone who has?

Options
  • 01-05-2010 2:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

I'm considering doing a degree in sound engineering / recording / editing, partly for career purposes but mainly just because I already mix and record my own stuff and I'd very much like to learn more and in a genuine studio environment. I was looking as Pulse's level 8 degree and it looks really good.

Only snag is that I got 310 in my LC and they say in general they require 390, but they also say that you can be offered an interview anyway so it might at least be worth asking. I have quite a lot of recordings and what not I could show them, and they say that counts for a lot as well.

So basically, what's it like? Good studio? Is the course itself any good? What are the hours like? Does it justify the price tag? Etc.

Obviously if you've actually done it or know people who have done it, I value your opinion the most!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 big stripey lie

Price tag??

*looks up website

*gasps

Holy crap that's expensive!!

Initially when i read your post i was amazed they're doing a degree course. As always, in terms of what you'll learn it's all subject matter you could probably teach yourself. I think what you pay for is being put in that environment with other like-minded people.

But I'm pretty sure there's not too many courses like that in Ireland. That said I know absolutely nothing about the place itself. Just it being a B.A rather than say a B.Sc there's probably less focus on the technologies and more on the written side of things, which looking at the modules seems to fall in line with that.

I'm doing a Bsc in Audio Technology myself and it's the very opposite: all technologies and very little music. Still good tho. I'd rather audio tech than music tech myself. The prof.sound+videotech course are just down the hall and they're never out of the damn studios!

I'd say if you're sure then go for it, and best of luck for the interview.

Advertisement