Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depression and suicide support online

Options
  • 01-05-2010 1:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Anybody know any live chatrooms or active message boards for people feeling very depressed?
    Sometimes you feel like you don't want to inflict intense distress onto Samaritans volunteers. The Internet is more impersonal. People can log out if it gets too heavy.
    Has to be anonymous and available now, tonight. Have to get through the night somehow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭seenitall

I have no experience of the websites that may be of use, but I urge you to reconsider contacting Samaritans.

A year ago I was in deep distress over a situation in my life and couldn't sleep a wink. I was anxiety personified. Being able to talk to someone in the middle of the night, and having that person listen really helped to relieve the anxiety and depression and it helped the time pass and brought a bit of peace. Besides the Samaritans are trained to deal with cases such as that so you don't have to worry inflincting your distress on them. They are trained for that and they want to help. It is anonymous and available now, too.

Best wishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 accidie

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Hope the OP is ok . .

Ive never tried the samaratins myself but I hear they are great . .

Sometimes just talking to anybody can help . . It doesnt have to be a friend . . Sometimes just being heard is enough and believe me, there are people here who will and are listening . .

Dont give up . . There are people who care for your well being and care for you . . To me life is very simple, but we make it complicated . . You made a big step asking for help, you deserve great credit for that as many people never get that far . . Well done for posting here and good luck . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 accidie

I've been talking to the Samaritans. Truly amazing people. Just a few more hours to get through. Will get professional help tomorrow.
    :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

You should check out aware.ie

I believe they are now doing an online support group.

They do run a real life support group too which I have attended myself and it really does help to talk to others that are or have gone through the same as you.

Best of luck buddy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

A few months back, it helped me a lot to chat on this forum.
    It is easy to access, people were friendly and looked out for one another.

Maybe it would help the OP, or someone else some time.

www.depression-understood.org

http://www.mixednuts.net/
    http://chronicsuicidesupport.com/

I have found help in these forums, but don't be afraid to reach out for help anywhere you can find it. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭black & white

seenitall wrote: »
    I have no experience of the websites that may be of use, but I urge you to reconsider contacting Samaritans.

A year ago I was in deep distress over a situation in my life and couldn't sleep a wink. I was anxiety personified. Being able to talk to someone in the middle of the night, and having that person listen really helped to relieve the anxiety and depression and it helped the time pass and brought a bit of peace. Besides the Samaritans are trained to deal with cases such as that so you don't have to worry inflincting your distress on them. They are trained for that and they want to help. It is anonymous and available now, too.

Best wishes.

Correct. Don't ever worry about ringing the Samaritans no matter what your issue is. They are fully trained to handle all situations and are happy to listen to anyone at any time of the day or night.

I think you're better off talking to someone on the phone or even better, in person. The danger with some chat rooms as they could leave you feeling worse if everyone is talking about how depressed they are, they'd need to have a strict, qualified moderator.

Best of luck OP, you can get through this

Advertisement