Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

name the weed or is it a wild herb

Options
  • 30-04-2010 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭

i am trying to upload some pictures to help identify these plants hopefully someone know

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

hi goat 2

first one is herb robert it is in the geranium family is pretty but seeds everywhere, second is common dock weed deep tap root also seeds all over the place:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,178 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What Mountainy Man said!

Mountainy Man, I am glad to know that last one is called Herb Robert, I always just think of it as a geranium, the stems are striking and its a pretty little plant, but it does have a tendency to take over the garden.

just googled it facinating little thing used medicinally for many things from toothaches to cancer , look it up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i did not know the geranium, but always admired that plant
    the dock i did think could be horseradish, but was not shure
    now what are these two

horseradish is not as shiny as dock and doesnt have the red colouring on stems and veins v similar though.
    not sure about first one could be many things, possibly some sort of dead nettle, lamium family ,photo bit out of focus to tell but second is hart's tongue fern:)
    this is from wikipiedia( links don't work here )

Asplenium scolopendrium (syn. Phyllitis scolopendrium, Hart's-tongue Fern) is a fern in the genus Asplenium. The plants are unusual in being ferns with simple, undivided fronds. The leaves are 10-60 cm long and 3-6 cm broad, with sori arranged in rows perpendicular to the rachis. The plants grow on neutral and lime-rich substrates, including moist soil and damp crevices in old walls, most commonly in shaded situations but occasionally in full sun; plants in full sun are usually stunted and yellowish in colour, while those in full shade are dark green and luxuriant. The tongue-shaped leaves have given rise to the common name "Hart's tongue fern"; hart is an old word for deer. The sori pattern is reminiscent of a centipede's legs, and scolopendrium is Latin for "centipide".

• Advertisement

That first one could be sage, rub a leaf between your fingers and see if there is a scent.

looksee wrote: »
    That first one could be sage, rub a leaf between your fingers and see if there is a scent.
    i was hoping to hear catmint,
    it does look like sage, but i do not get the sage smell

i just found this lovely low growing with shiny leaf rich green
    what is it nice yellow little floweer

That little charmer is lesser celendine. Gorgeous growing in the wild or wild bits of the garden, but if it gets into flower beds it goes mad and it is very difficult to get rid of. It really will take over an entire bed, I know from experience!

looksee wrote: »
    That little charmer is lesser celendine. Gorgeous growing in the wild or wild bits of the garden, but if it gets into flower beds it goes mad and it is very difficult to get rid of. It really will take over an entire bed, I know from experience!
    thank you very much
    there where it is growing in the picture, i can leave it as it is on a piece of waste ground

• Advertisement
Advertisement