Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bible Time line

Options
  • 30-04-2010 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi Guys

Can anyone give me advice on the major time line in the Bible. I am looking to learn the important events that happened in the bible before setting up a Bible study for myself.

Also whats the best way to set up a Bible study?? Where do i start ??

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Well you must realise that the bible was written over many lifetimes - a lot happened. If you are looking for a time line of events over the course of the bible (and again I stress that there is a staggeringly huge amount of history there), I suggest getting your hands on a study bible. For example, the ESV study bible has loads of maps, diagrams, essays, on-line support etc., etc. There are plenty of other study bibles out there, so please just take this my mention of the ESV as purely as an example of something that will contain time-lines.

I would personally start with the Gospels and work your way from there. A good study guide should give you some foundations to build upon. I believe that N.T. Wright's "For Everyone" series (example) is supposed to be an excellent - not too heavy, not too light. (He is coming from an Anglican perspective, but perhaps this isn't too much of a barrier.)

The NT is of more immediate relevance than the Pentateuch, which can be a difficult read. For example, how does one attempt to accurately interpret Genesis? (I would recommend something like this as an example of one perspective that would spark debate.) But perhaps this is better left until a later point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

OP: Make sure prayer is an integral part of this. Make sure to ask God that He will be with you, unravelling His word to you, and that He will continue to challenge you to a greater understanding of Him.

If possible, if you could study with another person it is great. I find it hugely beneficial arranging time to study the Bible with friends. If alone it can be done just as well.

I would second Fanny Craddocks comments both on the ESV Study Bible (from what I have heard and on NT Wright).

If you want a more indepth package to help you understand the Bible, with commentaries and Bible Study tools. I'd recommend Logos Bible Software. Its a bit pricey, but it is useful. The Individual option is really all one would need to consider for things like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

Hiya suirfire,

It's a dubious task setting up a bible study for yourself, don't mind others......There are so many to choose from, ( that's perhaps something to bear in mind ) It's important to approach it carefully....and leave nothing out that leaves you unsatisfied...

Always approach in prayer, questioning and use your God given rational...I like the software Jackass mentions above, I've used it too, but it goes further..

I am anyway..lol...I'm in the same boat :)

Confusing huh?

Good luck..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

lmaopml wrote: »
    .I like the software Jackass mentions above, I've used it too, but it goes further..

Here is some free software and a lot of books and translations
    they even have latin and greek and hebrew versions i think

Oh yeah they have the whole Pre Nicean fathers as well IIR

http://www.e-sword.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

For a timeline check out sunday school resources and search timeline. It will give a simple outline of the bible and its history.

I always find it easier to look to one of these when I am at a study covering the Old Testament.

I have glo software which is fun and interactive. It has video tours of Israel and has timelines in it. Also it has a section to plan out your bible reading and helps keep a record of what you've covered.

If you want to actually write a bible study perhaps you should look into bible interpretation books first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

What I would love is a Bible in novel form. I know this would be difficult for some of the books, but the typical Bible I've seen is formatted like an academic paper. A major nuisance to read.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Morbert wrote: »
    What I would love is a Bible in novel form. I know this would be difficult for some of the books, but the typical Bible I've seen is formatted like an academic paper. A major nuisance to read.

It had been done . i have several copies i my library. I must look them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭smurfhousing

suirfire wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Can anyone give me advice on the major time line in the Bible. I am looking to learn the important events that happened in the bible before setting up a Bible study for myself.

Cheers

The Great Adventure is an excellent programme. There are dvds, cds, and folders. It's very good. I did the Bible Timeline one which is the introductory programme. You can get the stuff from amazon.com or Veritas could order it in for you.

http://greatadventureonline.com/

I highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

suirfire wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Cheers
    I commend to you this time-line by an Irish scholar:
    Ussher chronology
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ussher_chronology

It doesn't fit at all with modern theology, but it does fit well with the Bible.
    Luke 14:26 “If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple. 27 And whoever does not bear his cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple.

Advertisement