Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help I have no idea what to do... with my life

Options
  • 30-04-2010 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I really dont know where to start...
    I lost my job over a year ago(was really starting to hate the place anyway!) and have been applying steadily ever since and getting nowhere! only thing i've managed to secure is a very crappy factory job that barely has 20 hours a week although being honest i don't think i'd be able for any more hours there..
    I have a degree which really the only thing i can get out of it is teaching and that requires another year in college and a lot of uncertaintity as to whether i'd actually secure a position after completing it, therefore i am reluctant to take this risk as i'm not 100% sure its worth it? i dont even know why im posting this, its just that i can't seem to think clearly at all and i can see nothing but doom and gloom in the future. lately its affecting my appetite as i always feel kinda sick, i'm finding it hard to sleep and when i wake up in the morning all i can think is whats the point? i just dont see the point of anything anymore and i dont want to try anymore. i just can't motivate myself to do anything and i really cant stick living at home and working in a factory anymore.
    At this stage i am considering doing another degree but i am just so afraid of making another colossal mistake. i was actually good at school and i had chosen the right course first time round i would probably be sitting comfortably right now instead of having this anxiety all the time.
    How can I just relax and get proactive and stop this awful thinking..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I have a degree which really the only thing i can get out of it is teaching and that requires another year in college and a lot of uncertaintity as to whether i'd actually secure a position after completing it, therefore i am reluctant to take this risk as i'm not 100% sure its worth it?

Are you thinking a bit narrowly about your degree? This might be of use. I can't think of any degree that's no use except for teaching! You might be able to do some sort of conversion, or do a Masters in a different subject. But really it seems like you could do with some career advice. Can you go back to your old college or talk to a guidance counsellor/occupational psychologist? Have you any idea what you'd like to do?
    Everything is a risk, as none of us can foretell the future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

A second degree can be very useful to some people.. but in most cases it will just keep you out of the workforce for another 4 years. There's no point being "good in school" because working life is a lot different.

What type of degree did you do? If you were to do another degree what would it be in? And what sort of job could you get out of having both degrees?

You say if you "had chosen the right course first time round i would probably be sitting comfortably right now" but I doubt this is true. In this climate I don't know a single degree you could do that would guarantee you a job, much less one that would leave you sitting comfortably!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the replies. When i said comfortable i meant in a secure job...for example if i had done primary school teaching from the start there is a good chance i'd be in a perm job now. I would definitely prefer to be working than going to college again but as i can't find a job... i just don't want to waste anyore time sitting around worrying about the future.
    Now I am just thinking i should do nursing as there will always be jobs there and you can travel with it. i just feel really desperate right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

byond lost wrote: »
    Now I am just thinking i should do nursing as there will always be jobs there and you can travel with it. i just feel really desperate right now.

Yes there are always jobs in nursing because people keep leaving it! And there are no jobs in nursing in Ireland, haven't been for a couple of years because of the recruitment freeze in the HSE.

I'm thinking this just shows how you are coming at this from the wrong angle. No point trying to second guess the market, you'll only end up in a job you hate. (And you really have to love nursing, or you'll be a crappy nurse taking it out on vulnerable and sick people.)

You need to look at your interests and abilities and skills and talents, figure out what you want to do, and you're probably too desperate to do this yourself at the moment. Go talk to other people and career guidance people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

byond lost wrote: »
    .for example if i had done primary school teaching from the start there is a good chance i'd be in a perm job now.

I know plenty of people who trained as teachers.

One didn't get to do the teaching course so they did an arts degree, only to miss out on a place to the one year h.dip. She ended up getting a job as a trainee manager.

Another one missed out in Ireland so applied to the UK.. after 3 years she eventually got into a course. Now she's in teaching college in england knowing when she comes home she won't have a job.

Even people who graduated years ago struggled to get jobs, some took jobs away from home in the hope a job nearer to home would come up... and when they took the closer job, the dept of education cuts meant they were last in and first out. A lot of the younger teachers you see are not in permanent jobs.

JuliusCaesar is right that you're viewing things from the wrong angle. Faraway hills are greener. No occupation/profession escaped from the "recession" and unless you have some experience or plenty of drive no number of years in college will help you find a job.

Of course, college is a great way to while away time so there's nothing to stop you going back. But you need to start asking what career you would actually like to do. And if you know, an evening course, plc course or a fas course in a particular area may actual be more beneficial. If you're interested in nursing why not volunteer in a hospital or care home for a few months rather than dive into a 4 year nursing degree? You could even volunteer in Africa. Or maybe just go abroad on a working holiday maker programme (oz, nz and canada have them) and work for a year in any area - you would gain a better understanding of what you want to do in life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks again for the replies. your both right i am not in any position to decide things right now as my head is so completely wrecked i don't even know my interests anymore. I am going to get some outside help, so ridiculous that i can't even think these days! i don't know why i let things get so on top of me. i really want to take this time to get some direction in life and to obtain some sort of goals instead of just wandering around not knowing what i want!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement