Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Phishing Scam?

Options
  • 30-04-2010 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi All,

We recently received a missed call from a number that displayed as "001220" which I tried to call back and got nothing.

Then today they called back again and my wife answered. They asked was this my wife (they used her first name) and said they were from Global Maintenance, and calling about her computer.

My wife then told him that there was no problem with her computer and he hung up.

So I'm wondering has anyone else had a similar call, is it someone confirming details for a scam or just building a database of names...?

Any ideas and advice would be appreciated...

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Could be a phishing call . I would be concerned that they had a name to go with the number. Generally if they are harvesting numbers it will be an automated call which hangs up when you answer.
    Have you rang your service proivdor & asked them about that number?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭murfinho

koolkid wrote: »
    Could be a phishing call . I would be concerned that they had a name to go with the number. Generally if they are harvesting numbers it will be an automated call which hangs up when you answer.
    Have you rang your service proivdor & asked them about that number?

Yeah was trying to ring Eircom about it but can't get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

• Registered Users Posts: 38 RP Mc murphy

I had this experience last night, wasted 20 minutes yaking to some gobsh1te on the phone before they mentioned a charge of 60 Euros to fix a problem that i didnt have. Seems like this was in Austraulia till now. See below for the MO, it is pretty much the same as in the article.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/081009-windows-event-viewer-phishing-scam.html?page=1

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,186 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I had this experience last night, wasted 20 minutes yaking to some gobsh1te on the phone before they mentioned a charge of 60 Euros to fix a problem that i didnt have. Seems like this was in Austraulia till now. See below for the MO, it is pretty much the same as in the article.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/081009-windows-event-viewer-phishing-scam.html?page=1

Similar to this?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055837564

It's been going a while here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 BeoSabre

Yep a similar call from a Latvian number 00371:mad: this evening
    asking me to turn on my PC and he'd "help me"
    Guy with an Indian accent.
    Couldnt help wrecking his head for a bit - it was an obvious scam. Just hang up.

Try the following responses

- During his pitch inject a few random
    "Hello?"s
    - say "My PC is not an orange , please?"
    - exclaim "PCs are stupid and so can I"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Doesn't just use the event viewer trick. They also use the send error report thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kasuba01

just coming off the phone with the same 'indian chap' telling me to switch my computer on and ranting about a virus that will crush my hard-drive?

the same number has been calling for a while,but when i call back nothing.

asked the chap how he got my number and he mumbled for a while.:D

boards.ie brilliant.got my answer straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

Had this a while ago from a 006 (Singapore code), the chap seemed a bit peeved that I wouldn't turn on the PC and I could hear him arguing with my as I hit the end call button. Got a bit of a fright as I was on my 'puter at the time, ended up turning it off straight away and running a scan the next time I turned it on.

This shower had tried to call a few times, with family in Sing I was getting a bit worried seeing the country code and the time would have been late/early over there. So it was irritating in more ways than one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Just hang up on the scamming idiots :(

Dont fall into it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Advertisement