Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cracked engine head: BMW 316 Touring

Options
  • 30-04-2010 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

I have a major problem! Just been trying to change the head gasket, in situ, on my car but low and behold the gasket was in tact. Had the head skimmed and now you can see a visible crack close to one of the valve seats.

Come across a couple of things on the net which claim to repair cracked heads but I assume this would be a temporary measure?

Assuming I need a replacement, where would be the best place to look (internet search not proving fruitful)?

Also, (perhaps a silly question) if I buy a replacement, does this usually come with valves, camshaft, etc in situ, or will I have to go through the whole set up myself?

Any help would be grately appreciated.

Make: BMW
    Model: 316 Touring (E36)
    Year: 1998
    Engine: M43B16 (timing chain)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hiluxman

if there is a crack in the head, its scrap. there is nothing that i know of that will repair a crack successfully and permenently.
    your best bet is to go to a scrapyard and buy a secondhand head or what might be simpler, cheaper and less labour intesive, a secondhand engine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 EcoBrats

Thanks for the reply. I've actually found three companies in the UK that sell remanufacturered cylinder heads (recommended by several Irish motorfactors), one of which say that they will remanufacture the cylinder head from my car, thereby permanently repairing the crack as well as completely overhauling of all the other components.

This works out way cheaper than buying a secondhand engine (£220 compared to €400) and far less labour intensive, as I would have to disconnect the gear box, etc and hoist out the old engine first. Also, I'd be replacing the engine with one that has not be refurbished and has similar mileage to my own, and I'd worry that I'd go to all that trouble to encounter the same problem again.

Anyone know of any engine remanufacturers in Ireland? I would love to hear from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 lube5150

I wouldent touch a S/H head,,,just as much trouble as the one you took off...as for the crack in the head,,something must have caused it...milage would be a big factor..the 1.6 is a good engine,,but anything over 80k miles,and thats when trouble starts,,,worn spark plugs can cause extended detonation,,,sticking thermostat will cause over heat,and a common problem on bmw's is the viscous fan coupling,,if you hold the water pump pully and try and spin the fan...if it turns freely then it f*"ked,and should be replaced,,,another thing is,,coolant,,if you replace coolant with water,or add water,,it raises the boiling point,,,therfore your engine will run hotter than normal...hence cracked head...so i think your only option is a second hand engine,,,ther are loads of 1.6 engines around,,,and no doubt cheaper than a new head,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 lube5150

Just to add to my last reply...the problem with putting a new or remanufacured head on an engine with high milage(your car is a 98,and im sure there is quite a lot of miles on it)that it causes increased presure on allready worn piston rings,,,main,and big end bearings,i remember putting a new head on a h100 and a primaera and with in a few weeks,,big ends started knocking,,,i did advise my customers that this would happen,,,would they listen,,
    good luck with your bm,,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

EcoBrats wrote: »
    ............Anyone know of any engine remanufacturers in Ireland? I would love to hear from you.

http://www.enginere.ie/

I only know of this place because they're close-by, if you google it you should be able to find one in your vicinity. Another alternative would be to get a 2nd hand head and have it reconditioned - they should be able to test it for any cracking before any work is done on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

OP, did you have the head pressure tested? Surely whoever skimmed it would have noticed the same crack and not gone any further till the head was tested before skimming it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

lube5150 wrote: »
    a common problem on bmw's is the viscous fan coupling,,if you hold the water pump pully and try and spin the fan...if it turns freely then it f*"ked,and should be replaced
    Wrong. The basic idea of a viscous fan is that i can freewheel when the engine is cold. It is only as it gets hot and the heat from the radiator hits the viscous coupling that it starts to lock up.

The test is to have the car at running temp and bring for a drive. Roll up a newpaper and with the engine running push it slowly down into the fan blades. If the fan stops, the coupling is knackered. If you end up with bedding for your rabbit strewn all over your driveway there is nothing wrong wit the fan
    another thing is,,coolant,,if you replace coolant with water,or add water,,it raises the boiling point
    Wrong :(:eek:
    therfore your engine will run hotter than normal
    wrong

Advertisement