Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

closamectin

Options
  • 30-04-2010 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,759 ✭✭✭✭

hi all
    i dosed some 500kg cattle with pour-on closamectin for fluke and worms . around 3 hrs later there was a fairly heavy shower then around 8 hrs after dosing it rained constantly. the line of the pour-on was still visible all day but was gone next morning after steady rain.
    question is does any1 know the absorbsion time for this product or, should i need to re-dose how long should i wait before dosing again. if any1 has experience of a similar problem i 'd appriciate any answers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

don't think the makers know themselves the following is from their website

"The effect of rain on the pour-on formulation at the time of and after application has not been investigated. For maximum effect animals should be kept indoors or undercover following treatment, when there is rain or an imminent risk of rain"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,759 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

cheers. its on the box but wondering if any1 had the same experience.
    wait and see i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭k mac

I let out weanlings last week and noticed some of them coughin a bit even though i dosed them with fasinex super when i put them in and again in january .I am sellin them on in a few weeks so don t want the expense of fasinex , which is the best value pour on, closamectin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

k mac wrote: »
    I let out weanlings last week and noticed some of them coughin a bit even though i dosed them with fasinex super when i put them in and again in january .I am sellin them on in a few weeks so don t want the expense of fasinex , which is the best value pour on, closamectin ?
    if your selling them on in a few weeks and you have dosed them with fasinex i wouldnt dose them again as it will have no effect.
    closamectin is very expensive so you would just be wasting hard earned money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,759 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

mossfort wrote: »
    if your selling them on in a few weeks and you have dosed them with fasinex i wouldnt dose them again as it will have no effect.
    closamectin is very expensive so you would just be wasting hard earned money.
    closamectin is E35 per 250ml at 5ml per 50kg so very expensive.so alot of money for selling on.
    larger amounts will of course be cheaper per litre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

did cows+weanling with it last night
    prob washed off-as it rained some time after--disaster!
    well, there done until the autumn!
    got it in the north..250ml= €50, thinking i was ripped off!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

wiggy123 wrote: »
    did cows+weanling with it last night
    prob washed off-as it rained some time after--disaster!
    well, there done until the autumn!
    got it in the north..250ml= €50, thinking i was ripped off!!

Why do you do cows? Only dose my medicine my cows get is Trodax for fluke. I do everything for worms up to two years old and all springers after first calf. Therafter, they should have their own resistance. Am I wrong??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

always have done the cows, with norvomectin,early spring+late autumn..used closamection on a few cows that were flukey looking...normally use trodax..just was easier last night--the pour on!
    every1 to there own

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

wiggy123 wrote: »
    always have done the cows, with norvomectin,early spring+late autumn..used closamection on a few cows that were flukey looking...normally use trodax..just was easier last night--the pour on!
    every1 to there own

I would be inclined to agree, closamectin is very dear for cows that probably don't have worms but might have fluke. Flukiver does the same job as regards fluke, without the expensive (and probably unnecessary) ivermectin wormer. The pour-on thing is a bit of a gimmick in closamectin, especially if it washes out as easily as some suggest.

Maybe a product better suited for the Australian market?

LostCovey

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭krazyklown

i attended the product launch of closamectin, norbrook claim the pouron showed higher levels of concentration in the blood than the injection suggesting its actually more effective than the injection. As far as i remember it needs about two hours drying time to absorb through the skin. Remember also that there is a dye in the product to aid identification of treated animals - this dye stays on the outside of the skin and can run if it rains. This is not the actual drug so it may not be the end of the world so long as it got the two hours it should be okay.

In general, it is anecdotally suggested that adult cattle that have been wormed routinely develop some sort of resistance to worms. This is not a hard and fast rule as there have been cases of lungworms in cows, however in general most people would only treat adult cattle for fluke (& lice when housed). Dairy men be aware that trodax & flukiver can no longer be used since some genius came up with a more sensitive test for residues. Also fellas who use fasinex, if you arent happy with results there are known areas where there is resistance to Tricbenazole (the drug in fasinex). Oh if using fasinex there is an alternative called Tribex made by Chanelle which is the same drug and is considerably cheaper. While i am at it there is an alternative to Trodax called Deldrax which again is a cheaper version of the same drug.

@k mac: For those weanlings, if its coughing caused by hoose/lungworms then just get noromectin/ecomectin/ivomec classic/kilomec which will take care of worms for you. All are exactly the same drug - ivermectin- available in pouron or injection, injectable being cheaper. Closamectin would be complete overkill, its worm component is ivermectin (so the above do the same job), you are paying the premium price for the fluke component of closamectin.

Just for completeness, it is recomended to change which doses you use as overuse of the same dose can lead to resistance - if you are following this advice make sure that when you use a different dose that it contains a different drug to the one you are changing from ie no point changing from lets say ecomectin to noromectin because they are the same thing manufactured by different companies

• Advertisement
Advertisement