Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

btea does this end in May or June?

Options
  • 30-04-2010 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hi,
    Just wondering if BTEA ends in May or June or does it keep going for summer? I'm so glad to be receiving it and too afraid to ask social welfare incase they end it sooner for me!! I heard some people receive it for the summer too? or is that just Job seekers benefit and if so do they automatically put you on that without even asking if you got a job for summer?
    help appreciated thanks,

Bindi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jano1

You have to let social welfare know your final date of attending the course/last end of year exam. You must get a letter from your college confirming this. You cannot get BTEA for the summer. You may be entitled to sign on for the summer if you satisfy the usual conditions e.g. looking for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭swapple

So if you inform Social Welfare of when you're finished college will you automatically go back on to Job Seeker? Will they send you a letter telling you your next sign in date or should you just go in and see?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jano1

You have to go in and be assessed again but you won't be a new claimant so it is fairly straightforward. You need the letter from college and proof of ID and if you are entitled to Jobseeker's Benefit you don't have to be means tested, otherwise for Jobseeker's Allowance you will need bank statements etc. Then you will be given the next sign on date.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

I received a letter from my local S. W. office enclosing a form to be completed and to present myself at a specific hatch on the 18th of June.

However, I officially finish college on the 2nd of June so am going to go in on that date.

As you are available for work during the summer - you cannot receive the BTEA and if you are going back to college again in September than you have to re-apply but I am not sure when - maybe someone might know this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

angeleyes wrote: »
    I received a letter from my local S. W. office enclosing a form to be completed and to present myself at a specific hatch on the 18th of June.

However, I officially finish college on the 2nd of June so am going to go in on that date.

As you are available for work during the summer - you cannot receive the BTEA and if you are going back to college again in September than you have to re-apply but I am not sure when - maybe someone might know this.

This may save you a trip, in the same boat myself, finished uni on 18th May but the letter said to come in the 18th June. I went in and they said that the usual amount will go into the bank up until the date I have to attend, it will then switch to jsa and they will sort out the overpayment of btea/underpayment of dole then.

In other words, it's all good and just go in on the day you were told to.

As for the renewal of btea, they will send you a form, and much like what you did this year; you'll have to get it verified by the college that you are attending and progressing a year, you can't do this 'til Sept though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement