Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goats - good idea ..... or not?

Options
  • 30-04-2010 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

I've a field that's covered in scrub and crap and getting in a couple of goats for a few months would be a really great way of getting the field eaten down to the butt. The field is fenced in with sheep wire, with a strand of electric fence around the top.
    I've been offered 2 male goats -12 months old, to take away, and am wondering if getting a pair of males is a good idea. Is there a high level of risk that they'd try to break out or be difficult to manage?

All advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

goats..they not hard to keep in/ also picky about what they eat? and do the male goats not smell alot...not get a few sheep/cow or 2...clean if off
    or get in with a loader and plough, and clean it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

Goats can be destructive....

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ashill5

If i were you i would forget about about getting Goats as they will be very hard to keep from breaking out. My advice also is that to get 2 or 3 old cows to eat it down or even a couple of old horses. ;)

Donkeys or sheep wouldn't poach the ground too badly

donkeys not fussy eaters..eat bare certain area's..leave others fully grassed..
    cows be best!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

mmmmm - feedback seems to be that I should tread carefully with goats. Smell shouldn't be an issue - wide open field, hardly as if they'd be in the house. Am aware of the destructive nature of them, hence my concern that even a sheepwire fence with strand of electric might not be enough.
    Land is not great - horses are a no-no. Been there, not doing that again!
    Maybe a few sheep - then again, there'd be local dogs to worry about!

throw a few cattle in it...do it good...
    it urs?

Is it my land?
    Sure is - just starting to try and get it back into shape after years of being left idle or having horses on it. Stock-proofed recently, and now keen to get it up and running.

Keep an alpaca or two with the sheep and they will keep away the dogs.

many acres in it? it clean...not get ploughing it up--reseed

• Advertisement

Keep an alpaca or two with the sheep and they will keep away the dogs.

A castrated male llama or alpaca will attack predators and keep sheep away from them.

Overall ~ 16 acres - and it's poor wet land. Would love to reseed, but the cost would be prohibitive right now ....... self-employed and income has gone through the floor. This is really a hobby that I'd like to develop into something productive.

Alpacas - would love to have a couple of them on the land - but the price of them is sooooooo high!

if u want easy money..
    rent it out..where u had--would u get a €100 an acre for it?
    or else..buy a few stores, or ewe lambs..let them out on it--for the summer! more work with the sheep(flystrike etc)...then sell come autumn time!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Something to think about- goats in general are not nearly as hardy as sheep, and would most probably need overnight housing, alongside access to a saltlick and fresh water. They also have particular likes and dislikes (such as Ivy, apple trees, rose bushes, etc) and if there are trees nearby (such as Taxus or Cupresacea spp.) you have to be very careful as they will happily eat them seriously sickening themselves. Its the same way sheep often eat wild rhubarb- causing fatalities in lambs etc.

You can't automatically assume that goats are intrinsically hardy creatures who will behave in a manner folklore would have you believe........

Edit - appologies - my husband borrowed my laptop and forgot to change user - we have a 4 week old son who we adore, it is amazing what lack of sleep can do.

Cathy et al

Many thanks for the advice - would very much like to get alpacas on the land but I'd imagine that the cost, even for gended males, would be prohibitive, unless someone can advise otherwise? Have they held their prices in the current downturn, or is cash king in this market also?

Cathy,

Sorry to hear about your lack of sleep - and just to make you feel better ......... you'll wish these days were back when he turns 18!!!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

lanod2407 wrote: »
    Cathy et al

Many thanks for the advice - would very much like to get alpacas on the land but I'd imagine that the cost, even for gended males, would be prohibitive, unless someone can advise otherwise? Have they held their prices in the current downturn, or is cash king in this market also?

Cathy,

Sorry to hear about your lack of sleep - and just to make you feel better ......... you'll wish these days were back when he turns 18!!!!! ;)

Alpacas could be worthwhile as alpaca wool is worth a small fortune.

Advertisement