Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawnmower not revving fully

Options
  • 30-04-2010 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi all,

I moved into a new house in August last year and bought a McCullouch lawnmower in Woodies and only ended up using a few times before the winter season kicked in.

I didn't have a shed for a while so left the lawnmower out under plastic until I got the shed sorted in December, but now that I have taken the lawnmower out again for the first cut last weekend it wasn't starting.

I cleaned the spark plug and I took the cover off the engine and cleaned the "contact starting area" (spinning at the top) with sandpaper and the lawnmower started.

Now its cutting the grass but isn't revving as high as it should be.. almost choked but doing enough to cut the grass etc.

I've seen advice about cleaning the carburettor and cleaning out the air filter, but wasn't sure if this is something I could reasonably attempt myself or not.

Its the M46S model is that's of any assistance to anyone?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Not sure of the answer.

Did you leave the petrol in the machine over the winter ? If so, there may be a bit of petrol type "gum" blocking a component. That is why I usually run the machine dry at the end of the season as I got a similar problem and had to get the machine serviced by the lawnmower doctor ! I think he did some stripping down to clear out the fuel system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Could be the governor spring from the carb to the air vane. It might have rusted and broke from been outside and so not letting the engine go to the right speed. I cant see how cleaning the ratchet on top of the engine could make the engine go though.

doubtfir3 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I moved into a new house in August last year and bought a McCullouch lawnmower in Woodies and only ended up using a few times before the winter season kicked in.

I didn't have a shed for a while so left the lawnmower out under plastic until I got the shed sorted in December, but now that I have taken the lawnmower out again for the first cut last weekend it wasn't starting.

I cleaned the spark plug and I took the cover off the engine and cleaned the "contact starting area" (spinning at the top) with sandpaper and the lawnmower started.

Now its cutting the grass but isn't revving as high as it should be.. almost choked but doing enough to cut the grass etc.

I've seen advice about cleaning the carburettor and cleaning out the air filter, but wasn't sure if this is something I could reasonably attempt myself or not.

Its the M46S model is that's of any assistance to anyone?

Thanks

Unless you mean the magnets on the flywheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    Not sure of the answer.

Did you leave the petrol in the machine over the winter ? If so, there may be a bit of petrol type "gum" blocking a component. That is why I usually run the machine dry at the end of the season as I got a similar problem and had to get the machine serviced by the lawnmower doctor ! I think he did some stripping down to clear out the fuel system.

It was pretty much cleaned out at the end of the season last year but I suppose there may have been a little petrol left in the tank.. i might look at cleaning it out and see if that helps.
    jimmyw wrote: »
    Could be the governor spring from the carb to the air vane. It might have rusted and broke from been outside and so not letting the engine go to the right speed. I cant see how cleaning the ratchet on top of the engine could make the engine go though.

I'm not sure on this one - it was a friend who cleaned it for me and then it started - I had cleaned the spark plug, and when he took the cover off he cleaned it with sandpaper as it had some slight surface rust on it, the funny thing is that its not as if its going rev - chug - rev.. its revving all the time but only about 50% of where it should be.

I look off the air filter last night to see if that is damp but its not and the carb looks pretty clean, so not sure where to go from here...

The lawnmower got a bit damp for about two weeks when it was under plastic (was out in the rain one night too when the plastic came off) but it has been in a dry shed now for 4 months so surely it woudl have dried out?

I might drain everything today and see if I can clean it out. If that fails then its off for a service next week..

Yeah they probably cleaned the magnets on the flywheel (round thing with fins on it) and that made them send a a spark to the plugs then. Have a look or get someone to check the govenor setup to see if its working ok.

• Advertisement
Advertisement