Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network and switch etc ?

Options
  • 30-04-2010 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

To all the knowledgeable souls out there….Please help a confused person :confused:

So, one thing I think I did get right when wiring my new build….every room has at least one double (CAT6) Ethernet socket installed.
    Now for the tricky bit….all of these wires are terminated in my Study, so essentially I have a large bundle of approx 30 wires coming out of the wall in my Study.

A bit of background info: In my current abode, I currently source my Internet access thru an O2 Broadband 3G dongle, which is attached via USB to an Edimax 3G 6200n Wireless router and this gives me a wireless network thru which I connect my Laptop, my PS3 and my Wi-Fi enabled phone…
    When I move into my new build, I don’t think I can access broadband via a landline as the coverage is not yet in the area I am told.
    So I will have to stick with O2 3G I suppose…

What I am hoping to achieve is that within the new house, I can place the Edimax 3G 6200n Wireless router in the Study and then connect this into my wired network…
    Am I right in thinking that this then should give me Internet access from any of the Ethernet points in the house??

Anyways, in trying to get my head around this I have done some research and from what I can gather, the best option is to get a “thing” called a Switch into which I would connect all the CAT6 wires that are terminating in the Study. Would I then connect the Edimax router (still with the O2 dongle attached) via an Ethernet port to the Switch? Similar for a printer and NAS ???

Just to complicate it one more bit…!!! When funds allow, I hope to purchase the Sonos music system and run it via Ethernet as a wired connection also.

Can anyone tell me in plain mans language what I need to get in terms of a Switch and what it actually does? Also what bits do I need to connect to what..pleeeease!!
    If anyone has any ideas, suggestions regarding the optimum way to set this up, let me know as (after doing all the wiring) I want to use this to its maximum potential…

Thanks in hope !!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Yes, Basic.

An Ethernet wire from your 'Internet' Modem to the Switch and then all your other Ethernet wires from around the house plug into the Switch.

The Switch will do the rest! Although this is very basic introduction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

You have it spot on so dont doubt yourself. Basically buy any 10/100 switch though I recommend if your pushing video and data down it buy someting a little better. Maybe a netgear or something.

You then plug both in, use a patch cable to connect the Edimax to the swoitch. Most switches have automatic uplink recogonision so you shouldnt have to do anything else. Then plug each network point that you want to have internet into the switch. The Edimax will take care of your DHCP so make sure all your units are set to automatic DHCP. As you know you can connect the PS3 to it but you wont get anything but a NAT3 on it if your using providers like Three.

That all make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Hey msg11 and FusionNet,

Thanks for the replies….they give me some hope that I have some sort of clue as to what is needed….:D

FusionNet…The one thing I am seeing stated (if not understanding :confused) with regard to Sonos is that the Switch should support something called Spanning Tree Protocol, so do you know would the Netgear switches support this…?? Any in particular you would recommend for my scenario ??

I presume the Patch cable can be bought from Internet, although I see weird descriptions like “booted” and “non booted” :eek:
    What does this mean and which do I need…again if you want to recommend something please do..

When you say, “you can connect the PS3 to it but you wont get anything but a NAT3 on it” what do you mean by this…Is NAT3 to do with speeds?

Thanks again,

techno

Question one:

Spanning tree detects loops on a network, meaning that it basically stops your network going crazy!! Nearly all switches have this facility but Netgears certainly do. heres a link for a good option and nice and cheap!!:

http://www.fleskit.ie/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_flesk.tpl&product_id=22394&category_id=138&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=52

There are better ones available but Im not sure how many ports you need, do you need gigabit and are you racking it up?

Question 2:

Patch cables are easy to get and cheap. Booted and unbooted do the same job but booted snagless are we prefer to use in the industry but for domestic it doesnt matter. Booted tend to be a little more expensive and are tougher. Any on that same site will do the job for you.

Question 3

With regard to the PS3. Nat 3 is a term Sony use to let you know how secure your connection is. For example if you play Call of duty and you want to host a game you usually require NAT 2 and port forwarding set up so you can host. This means when data is hitting your IP it knows to send it to your PS3. Nat 1 is more open and allows hosting to be better but doesnt always work because of firewalls etc. Now most 3G connection share one external IP. This means traffic can not be forwarded to your router as everyone on 3G has a similar IP. If your not bothered about hosting games I wouldnt worry about this.

Does that all make sense or did I rant too much!!!

FusionNet,

Again, thanks for the detailed and helpful reply.....

On the Switch, I reckon I would need a 24 port one to allow me have a few over so would teh following do???

NETGEAR ProSafe Plus JFS524E 24-port Fast Ethernet Switch - switch - 24 ports

By racking it up, do you mean wall mounting it? If so, not too bothered at mo, just want to get it all up and running...I can leave it in a mess on the desk in the Study for a while;)

Patch cable advice noted...thanks...

With all the effort that is gone into the house, I will be more concerned with hosting a party than a PS3 game, for a while at least :D thanks again

• Advertisement

a mess a mess noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! Thats my nemisis!!!

That same site will offer you a 24 port at un real value so have a look.. And your dead right Ive just moved into a new place but I find cleaning up after a PS3 party is a lot easier!!!!

Hey FusionNet

Sorry..did I say mess...I meant of course an organised pile of wires;)

Is the Switch I referenced not ok or are you recommending another one?

tks

haha, hmmm Im not convinced of this new thing you call organised mess!!!

Yes that switch would be perfect..

Advertisement