Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"sásta leis an earrach" or "sásta leis an t-earrach"

Options
  • 30-04-2010 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Something else I came across last week.
    I learned that the masculine article in Irish adds a "t" to words starting with a vowel, such as an t-ulla.

I read the term "sásta leist an earrach" in one of my exercises and wondered if that had not better be "sásta leis an t-earrach". As far as I know earrach is masculine, is it?

Or does that rule not apply to oblique cases?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

stephanus wrote: »
    Something else I came across last week.
    I learned that the masculine article in Irish adds a "t" to words starting with a vowel, such as an t-ulla.

I read the term "sásta leis an earrach" in one of my exercises and wondered if that had not better be "sásta leis an t-earrach". As far as I know earrach is masculine, is it?

Or does that rule not apply to oblique cases?

"An t-earrach" on its own is correct.
    "Sásta leis an earrach" is correct.

"An t-earrach" is the nominative case, ie "Tá an t-earrach fuar".
    "leis an earrach" is the dative case, ie there is a preposition placed before it (le).

I believe you have something similar in German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭stephanus

Does that also apply to the article changes for feminine and plural nouns, ie do I say "leis an seachtain" or "leis an tseachtain" and "leis na heochracha" or "leis na eochracha"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

"leis an tseachtain" has the 't' in it because it is a feminine noun beginning with an 's' and a preposition and the article before it.

"leis na heochracha" has the 'h' in it because it is a noun in the plural, beginning with a vowel and a preposition and the article before it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭stephanus

Alright. I think I got that. :)

Thanks again.

Advertisement