Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgraded from Vista to 7 - Dell Wlan card not compatible

Options
  • 29-04-2010 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Hey, was hoping some of ye might have had similar issues with the above. Had a look round the forums but couldn't see anything on here...

Upgraded my gfriends laptop with windows 7 - didn't do a clean install, just used standard upgrade method as per discs provided from Dell... After the system did compatibility check it said the dell wlan wireless card was not compatible with Windows 7 and would have to be uninstalled.... So had a quick google to see whether this would be an issue but forums i checked said no prob, windows 7 would look after it!

Anyway, long story short - i removed it and now can't connect to wireless??

Incidentally, the computer is picking up other wireless connections in the building, just not my own?!! must be something simple but suggestions would be welcome.. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

If you're picking up other networks, you're fine.

Have you perhaps turned off SSID broadcasting on your own?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,914 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Is yours a B G or N network

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Em, not entirely sure what network it is, definitely not N. Checked under properties there (on my own laptop) and it says:
    Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection. So does that make it B or G??

Could there be a compatibility issue between Windows 7 and the actual router? Apologies, my knowledge is basic at best but can't seem to figure it out...

Dartz - Not sure what you mean by SSID broadcasting.. Literally all I did was follow the MS upgrade instructions, they said WLAN card was incompatible with Windows 7 so i uninstalled it... Doesn't explain how computer is picking up other networks though?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Ok, problem solved.... had to connect through cable to run windows update and it picked up our wireless network then....

Cheers to those that tried to help me in my idiocy... :o

Advertisement