Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tofu??

Options
  • 29-04-2010 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

I've been a veggie for nearly 10 years now and have never tasted tofu...something about the texture makes me feel ill! Is it as bad as it looks and feels??

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Wasn't a great fan of it until I had it cooked well! It can be verrrrry nice or pretty bad, it's what you make of it. Since you can make it taste like so many things, have seeds in it etc, I find it hard to think we can't find one you will like!

And welcome to the forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I LOVE tofu. Marinated in soy sauce and then stir-fried with moar soy souce = om nom nom.

I've been a veggie for nearly 10 years now and have never tasted tofu...something about the texture makes me feel ill! Is it as bad as it looks and feels??

How do you know what the texture is like if you haven't tasted it?
    Honestly if you go in with prejudice, you wont ever like it.

I avoided it for ages too, I have problems with the texture of meat. I was worried it might be meat like. But it isnt at all.

I'd recommend trying the flavoured ones in healthfood shops, or ordering it in an Asian restaurant. (But not the tofu steak in yamamori, it is lovely but belly busting!)

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

Nourish do a few different flavours of tofu, smoked is my favourite. It's delicious. And it's firm tofu, the texture that's putting you off is probably silken tofu? It's more jelly-like and isn't flavoured so you have to do more with it.

Try the smoked firm tofu....G'wan ;)

EDIT:
    (But not the tofu steak in yamamori, it is lovely but belly busting!)

Sounds like my kinda place :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I was the same before I actually had tofu, but once I had tried it then things were grand. It really depends on how it is flavoured and seasoned that makes it what it is. I'm wondering now if silken tofu is as nice as firm...must try sometime:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭whatanidiot

the texture that's putting you off is probably silken tofu? It's more jelly-like and isn't flavoured so you have to do more with it. :p

Yup think that's defo what I bought, it was slimey and horrible so I just threw it out ha! I'll defo try a flavoured one from a health store....not sure I'd be a fan of the smoked but may even try it tomorrow and see if I survive ;) Thanks for the tips....and the welcome :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

As far as the texture putting people off goes, apparently if you freeze and then defrost it it's much better for chillies and stews, and it's definitely much better for marinading if you squish the water out first ( cut into slices, put a few sheets of kitchen towel below and over it and weigh it down with some plates or something, leave it for anything up to an hour while you get the rest of the food ready to cook). It absorbs the flavour better and the texture is much better.

Personally I love tofu, baked, fried, I even put the silken stuff into soups and stews sometimes if I'm going to be blending them up anyway (though I agree that one look at that stuff would be enough to make you gag if you didn't already like it). I'd eat it more often if my love for cheap alcohol didn't outweigh my love for expensive healthfood shop products

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

it can be hard, silky or scrambled! Depends how you cook it.... love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

there are many different textures of tofu so don't let just one put you off. I picked up a new Cauldron product in Tesco during the week... small tofu pieces flavoured (marinated?) in garlic and ginger. I just threw a handful into brown rice (for the complete protein like!) and it was lovely. I imagine it would be very easy to overcook though and that's something you need to be aware of with tofu.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Tofu is something I'll rarely buy in the shop as a standalone. In my experience it wasn't great unless you fry it and put a lot of salt on it. It's great then, but I've only had it like 4 times because it's as greasy as ..., grease, and salty as ..., sodium chloride :)

I'd still say, try it!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Depends on how you have it. I normally have it miso soup. But you can it put it to use in so many dishes.

My food rule? Don't dismiss anything until at least you've tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Went through a bit of a tofu phase last year. Marinating it in soya sauce, olive oil, loads of garlic and whatever spices and baking in the oven is the way to go. Just until it's edges are almost burning... really good.

I only ever used silken tofu in desserts really. Makes good brownies.

Sure try it anyway, it'll be fun :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Listen to her, she cooks great food! Her tofu was lovely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Yayyyy, thanks, I try :p

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    there are many different textures of tofu so don't let just one put you off. I picked up a new Cauldron product in Tesco during the week... small tofu pieces flavoured (marinated?) in garlic and ginger. I just threw a handful into brown rice (for the complete protein like!) and it was lovely. I imagine it would be very easy to overcook though and that's something you need to be aware of with tofu.

Tried it years ago and didn't like it, for the same reason as the OP - ish. But got this recently (gorgeous). It prompted me to retry the plain stuff too and am converted. I just leave it longer in marinade/sauce now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I love tofu puffs that you can get in Asian food shops.

Absurdum wrote: »

Really? I get a funny taste off them, even when I get them in a restaurant.

what's funny? :P

I like the "chewiness" of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Just found an intriguing Chinese veggie chicken recipe but would rather use organic soy products. Anyone seen the organic beancurd /tofu sheets in any of the asian/healthfood shops around Dublin city centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Ohhh I love them too but only realised a little while ago to pour boiling water on them and press them before using to get rid of a lot of the oil. Thanks to the "Asian Vegan Kitchen" book for that tip!

That book has loads of tofu recipes in and the ones I have tried so far have all been winners!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 karen86

Tofu is quite delicious if it's done well.

Sadly, I have not mastered cooking tofu yet. I admire those who can do it well, as my tofu still tastes like soggy towels no matter what I do to it.

Any tips??

I just ate some Cauldron Tofu that I bought in Superquinn.

I drained and dried the block with kitchen towels, cut it into cubes, marinaded it in soy sauce and chili flakes, grilled it for about 15 mins until it was slightly crispy, then stir fried the cubes with veggies, YUM. I shoulda taken pics :o

what's funny? :P

I like the "chewiness" of them!

Sorry funny is the best way I can describe it. There is a flavour I don't like.
    Although I think it might be from the oil, so I must try Flikflaks tip.
    I do like the texture.
    Do you get a specific brand?

I usually go with Cauldron because it's the only brand available anywhere local to me, they are pretty expensive though, and the tofu pieces product is full of salt so I usually avoid that one. The Asian market ones are the way to go though, taste much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

The mom of my daughter who is Korean cooks the most wonderful mild chilli Tofu..but she won't tell me how or let me in the kitchen while cooking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

I recently found these tofu burgers in a couple of shops around my workplace

5241.jpg

They are really tasty and ready in 5 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Scarydoll

I love tofu! Yea the silken tofu is good for makin desserts and stuff. It goes like scrammbled eggs in a stirfry. I don't mind it. I'd stick with the firm ones. Also the smoked one with sesame seeds is amazing.

Advertisement