Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying chains online .

Options
  • 29-04-2010 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hi ,
    Can anybody give details of a web site to buy chainsaw spare parts like ,
    chains , bars , pull core & chain oil .
    Cheers .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I bought genuine Oregon Chains for my Husquvarna off a shop on ebay a few weeks ago. They were €18 for 2. Local Husquvarna dealer charges €30 for the same chain. He charges €9 to sharpen the chain - so its as cheap for me to buy a chain and have it delivered by post than it is for me to drive the 16 miles to the dealer to have it sharpened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Reilig,

Would you not sharpen the chain yourself?
    Very handy if you can do it yerself.
    It's simple enough. Hold the blade in a table vice so that the chain is still free to rotate. The trick is to sharpen both sides equally, otherwise the saw will cut to the side with the sharpest edge. Keep the file level and at an angle to the blade shown on the file holder. The diameter of the file will have to match the blade size.
    I usually give it two good files and then a light one. Also tip the top of each depth guide a tip to let the blades down to cut.
    When you get the hang of it, you'll do it as good as any shop;)

pakalasa wrote: »
    Reilig,

Would you not sharpen the chain yourself?
    Very handy if you can do it yerself.
    It's simple enough. Hold the blade in a table vice so that the chain is still free to rotate. The trick is to sharpen both sides equally, otherwise the saw will cut to the side with the sharpest edge. Keep the file level and at an angle to the blade shown on the file holder. The diameter of the file will have to match the blade size.
    I usually give it two good files and then a light one. Also tip the top of each depth guide a tip to let the blades down to cut.
    When you get the hang of it, you'll do it as good as any shop;)

I'm well able to sharpen it myself with a hand file. But I fine that after you file it 3 or 4 times by hand, the chain needs to be ground down by machine or else it won't cut as fast as it should. Planning on buying an electric file which will allow me to grind them down myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

reilig wrote: »
    I bought genuine Oregon Chains for my Husquvarna off a shop on ebay a few weeks ago. They were €18 for 2. Local Husquvarna dealer charges €30 for the same chain. He charges €9 to sharpen the chain - so its as cheap for me to buy a chain and have it delivered by post than it is for me to drive the 16 miles to the dealer to have it sharpened.

If you could post or PM a link to that ebay store, I'd be much obliged.

If you could post or PM a link to that ebay store, I'd be much obliged.

http://myworld.ebay.ie/royt4753/

I've bought chains and other parts for myself and others in recent times. A nice chap to deal with and genuine products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭roadtripman

I bought stuff from www.mowermagic.co.uk and found them good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I brought a 58cc chainsaw on ebay with 20 inch blade this week for under 70 euro.
    I read somewhere that the chinise brought an old air base in east germany and built a factory so they can import parts and sell product as made in germany.
    Must try it out later will let ye know how it works but for that money its worth a gamble.
    Its like this one
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Chainsaw-58ccm-Petrol-Chain-Saw-58-cc-ccm-Case-New-/280499547886?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenPowerTools_CA&hash=item414f136eee

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

djmc wrote: »
    I brought a 58cc chainsaw on ebay with 20 inch blade this week for under 70 euro.
    I read somewhere that the chinise brought an old air base in east germany and built a factory so they can import parts and sell product as made in germany.
    Must try it out later will let ye know how it works but for that money its worth a gamble.
    Its like this one
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Chainsaw-58ccm-Petrol-Chain-Saw-58-cc-ccm-Case-New-/280499547886?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenPowerTools_CA&hash=item414f136eee

if the thing doesnt have a ce mark i wouldnt trust it because a chainsaw can be a dangerous tool . the chinese tools are cheap for a reason.

It has a CE mark and made in germany but I still think its chinese
    I used it a bit yesterday and it has plenty of power its defitanly better than them hobby saws from woodies a bit heavy two but a good saw for cutting logs or tree trunks.
    Will have to see how long it lasts:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Looks like a copy of an older type Husqvarna.

• Advertisement

Ya I think I read somewhere that when the husqvarna patent ran out they copied it.
    I have seen saws like it on done deal with different stickers and more money
    I am happy with it for 70 squid:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 scaniaman

Advertisement