Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

halfords question

Options
  • 29-04-2010 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭

does anyone know if halfords will fit a car radio if you buy the radio at their store?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Yes, I'm pretty sure that they provide that service.

It's a very easy DIY job if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Yes they will.
    And depending on the car/radio they'll also charge you around 30-60eur.

And also the guys who work in Halfords don't have a clue about anything to do with cars!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

They will but they'll charge you depending on radio / car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Don't expect your dash to be rattle free at the end either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

some radios come with free fitting as far as i can remember.However i got a stero in aldi 49 euro great easy to fit.Theres usb input an all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 SolarCharge

Halford's are useless. Go to Tallaght Auto Parts. They'll fit the radio free of charge, and unlike Halford's they'll actually do a decent job.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Had a customer today who wanted to let Halfords fit a Parrot9200 to a brand new XC90 D5 SE Geartronic. He was told in no uncertain terms not to let them anywhere near the car.

As it's got the Premium Sound system it has an additional amp. If the wrong mute leads are used it blows the subwoofer. Correct mute leads are €120+VAT!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Princess Zelda

I got a radio fitted from Halfords before. Think it was about a tenner on top of what I paid for the radio. I've had no problems with it at all. To be honest, I think any problems people encounter with the fitting depends on the person who fits it. Some staff seem more experienced than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭mondeo

The halfords guy who will install your radio will be as clueless as yourself about installing one.... Why pay them e40 for a Micky Mouse service you could do yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

R.O.R wrote: »
    Had a customer today who wanted to let Halfords fit a Parrot9200 to a brand new XC90 D5 SE Geartronic. He was told in no uncertain terms not to let them anywhere near the car.

As it's got the Premium Sound system it has an additional amp. If the wrong mute leads are used it blows the subwoofer. Correct mute leads are €120+VAT!

FYI, the Parrot will not work with the factory sub, it'll bypass the stock sound system and send signal to the door speakers only. Which in most cars with premium sound systems is a disaster - as the door speakers are setup to filter out any bass at all, so the Parrot kit ends up sounding tinny, and missing things like kick drums, etc.

There's two solutions, either fit a second sub & amp (Which I had to do), or set the parrot to line into the system rather than use its own amp. You'll need a different loom to line in, and the factory sound system has to have the line in capability too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

FYI, the Parrot will not work with the factory sub, it'll bypass the stock sound system and send signal to the door speakers only. Which in most cars with premium sound systems is a disaster - as the door speakers are setup to filter out any bass at all, so the Parrot kit ends up sounding tinny, and missing things like kick drums, etc.

There's two solutions, either fit a second sub & amp (Which I had to do), or set the parrot to line into the system rather than use its own amp. You'll need a different loom to line in, and the factory sound system has to have the line in capability too.

It's for that type of reason I advised them to stay well away from Halfords for phone kit fitting. I've seen what happens when a professional phone kit installer used the wrong leads on a V50 with a 3100. Soon as a call came through it tripped the amp off and killed all sound from the radio. Was in with Volvo 3 or 4 times and we eventually had that kit ripped out and replaced by a new installer with the correct leads.

Advertisement