Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hard-to-shift cars and negotiating down?

Options
  • 29-04-2010 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭

So if a dealer has a currently hard to shift motor (ie. 3.0+ petrol sports car or SUV) sitting on their forecourt for over 1 year, and has dropped the price gradually from €40-45k to €20-25k at the moment, how much discount could one realistically expect on that sticker price, with no trade-in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

That's a completely unanswerable question.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

i'd kick hard!!! offer something stupid like €15k. you can always go up, you cant go down.
    If its been in stock a year and they've already lost €20k on it, they'll be more than happy to get some (any) cash in for it. If you like the car and you are willing to buy it, leave the salesman in no doubt that your offer is genuine.

Happened us before with a Renault Vel Satis V6. (TG it was another sales "person" that traded it in).

Lost our hole on that car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Anan1 wrote: »
    That's a completely unanswerable question.:)
    LOL, yeah it's a bit "how long is a piece of string"...depends on how much trouble they're in maybe ;)

I've noticed a few examples of this happening, some have been on certain forecourts in excess of 12 months...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I know this seems fanboyish again....but it's relevant.

A dealer who's since moved premises in Old Bawn had imports an FD2 Honda Civic Type R, was initially looking for €40k. It sat in the car park outside Londis for more than 2 years before selling for just €18900 or so!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Gatster wrote: »
    So if a dealer has a currently hard to shift motor (ie. 3.0+ petrol sports car or SUV) sitting on their forecourt for over 1 year, and has dropped the price gradually from €40-45k to €20-25k at the moment, how much discount could one realistically expect on that sticker price, with no trade-in?

i am going to guess anything from €5 to €20,000

covers most bases i think........

if you have a specific car in mind some details might help people help you put a realistic price on the car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

There's two types of car selling at the moment: New cars under the scrappage scheme and 04-07 used stock, and only Ford / Toyota / VW 'reliable' type stock under €8k with FSH and long NCT. Of course other cars are moving too but in general this type of stock is what's really moving - so much so that franchise dealers are not trading 3+ year old stock like they traditionally would have as it's the only used stock that's moving. Also the vast majority of new and used cars sold this year are in tax band A or B.

Point being cars over €10k and 2L are dirt cheap these days! I'm not saying you should give insulting offers, but most dealers would be happy to offload any stock that is 3.0+

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

I know this seems fanboyish again....but it's relevant.

A dealer who's since moved premises in Old Bawn had imports an FD2 Honda Civic Type R, was initially looking for €40k. It sat in the car park outside Londis for more than 2 years before selling for just €18900 or so!

18xxx was the price of that car without the vrt paid on it, came to €27000 odd vrt'd, He was selling it ex vrt, I know because I was going to buy it!

Im not sure how much leighway dealers are giving, A month ago I went into sarsfield motors looking to buy an FN2 civic Type R that they have, at the time they wanted €20950, I was offering him 18k cash and he wouldnt take it (same car new 2 years ago was €37500) so I guess it's down to how lucky you are on the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

robtri wrote: »
    i am going to guess anything from €5 to €20,000

covers most bases i think........

if you have a specific car in mind some details might help people help you put a realistic price on the car

Nissan 350z, Merc SLK (280 upwards), Z4M roadster, X5 4.4, RR 4.4, all at 'corporate' $tealerships

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭what recession?

Gatster wrote: »
    Nissan 350z, Merc SLK (280 upwards), Z4M roadster, X5 4.4, RR 4.4, all at 'corporate' $tealerships

Yeah. You're not going to get any of the desirable diesel engines for a steal, people still actually want them - just watch Merlin Auctions online if you need proof. As quoted, you can get really nice 4.4 RR's, X5's, 4.5s Cayennes and 3.2s Boxsters, also i've seen some good value AMG Mercs like the CLS55 lately, along with the big S600's and such. Basically any of the big petrol ones. As long as you're willing to pay the highest rate of tax, you're sorted. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

MCMLXXV wrote: »

Point being cars over €10k and 2L are dirt cheap these days!

€10k dirt cheap:eek::eek: There may be bargains to be had on large engined cars but dirt cheap they aren't. €10k is a large lump of money to most people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Del2005 wrote: »
    €10k dirt cheap:eek::eek: There may be bargains to be had on large engined cars but dirt cheap they aren't. €10k is a large lump of money to most people.

That's exactly my point. €10k / 2.0L seems to be the threshold so most cars above that are in fact very good barains.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Happened us before with a Renault Vel Satis V6. (TG it was another sales "person" that traded it in).

Lost our hole on that car.

those Vel Satis are such bargains...nealry bought one for the missus a few yrs back...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    those Vel Satis are such bargains...nealry bought one for the missus a few yrs back...
    True, the Irish just aren't ready for a car like that.:)

Advertisement