Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Storage at Library

Options
  • 29-04-2010 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭

I put in two call slip requests for journal articles last Tues, but was told today that the journals wouldn't arrive until next Wednesday at the earliest, as many journals have now been moved to 'external storage', which is separate to Santry and which only provides deliveries once a week. Since when has this arrangement been in place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

I dont know, but have you tried google scholar? might have what you need, indexes journals etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Kwekubo wrote: »
    I put in two call slip requests for journal articles last Tues, but was told today that the journals wouldn't arrive until next Wednesday at the earliest, as many journals have now been moved to 'external storage', which is separate to Santry and which only provides deliveries once a week. Since when has this arrangement been in place?

Never heard of that before~! Maybe its new? Give the SU a email maybe to let them know? They mightnt know, and 1 delivery a week is pretty bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Normally items are moved to what we call remote storage when the Library has electronic access to the same journals. The thinking behind this is that because you can access the journal electronically, you are unlikely to need access to the hard copy.

Are you quite sure that there is no subscription to the e-journal through the Library catalogue? There have been some cuts to some e-journal subscriptions so that might be the case. Check by doing the following -

Go to the Library homepage - www.tcd.ie/library

In the search window in the top left hand corner, click on the tab "Journal Titles".

Type the name of the journal that you're looking for in the search window - e.g. Nature and click "search"

In your list of results, click on the title with the words "electronic resource" after it - i.e. "Nature [electronic resource]"

Click on the link for the journal - you may be asked for your network Username and Password at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Damn! This is confusing. It looks like I've been using the wrong call number.

The journal I want is this one, two articles from 1936 and 1974. But I put down the call number for the post-2000 content. I guess I made the mistake because this is a relatively recent change, the last time I looked for stuff from this journal was over a year ago.

Oh well. At least I know what to do about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Foiled again. Counter closes early on Fridays :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement