Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unlocking Disaster - please help

• 29-04-2010 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭

Hopefully someone can help or advise me
    This morning I attenpted to unlock my iPhone after I received the go ahead txt from O2. I put in a 3 sim, connected to iTunes & synced but no joy. I repeated the process about 5 times and then , after reading the O2 forum went ahead and did a restore.
    It seemed to be going ok but then I got a backup failed message. I think that I had left the 3 Sim in the phone if that's relevant.
    I then repeated the restore attempt & this time the O2 sim was definitely in my phone.
    I now have an iPhone that basically will not work. It does not recognise my O2 sim and will not connect to any network.
    Also, it will not even allow me to set it up as a new phone even as a last resort.
    It looks like I've lost all of my business contacts & photos and have been left with a useless brick and all because I decided to unlock.
    Can anyone help - please
    I'd really appreciate any

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

just to clear up, does the computer recognise the phone?

It shouldn't matter about the 3 sim card, it wont check it until its been restored anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

kjl wrote: »
    just to clear up, does the computer recognise the phone?

It shouldn't matter about the 3 sim card, it wont check it until its been restored anyway.

No, it doesn't - I'm attempting to restore it yet again as I type but each time I get backup failed. It won't even allow me to set it up asa new phone.
    I have apps downloaded from iTunes Uk ie Spotify & the US ie Photobucket
    Could that be the problem ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

right, so if its not being recognised by the computer, how are you putting it into restore mode?

kjl wrote: »
    right, so if its not being recognised by the computer, how are you putting it into restore mode?

Sorry, I've been at this since 10AM so I'm a bit knackered & incoherent. When I connect via usb the phone is recognised in iTunes. However, under phone details has a serial no & a UUID - not my phone number. Also, the iPhone is not recognied in my computer under devices
    The phone itself just displays the instruction to connect to iTunes via usb & says no service - when I can get it to turn on that is
    I can get half way through a restore but it then says backup failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Have you tried restoring from DFU mode?

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034
    DFU means Device Firmware Update. If a restore using Recovery Mode doesn't work you will want to use DFU Mode as a last resort. When placing your iPhone into DFU Mode it does not load the OS before attempting the restore

• Advertisement

Redshift wrote: »
    Have you tried restoring from DFU mode?

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034

Thanks for the suggestion. To be honest, I haven't a clue how to do that and I'm afraid to touch it now. Could you talk me through it please?

I know I followed the correct procedure - I can't figure out what went wrong. Have I lost everything that was on the phone if I can't get the backup to work?

Sorry - Just noticed the link now - will give it a go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭smokiebeverage

This a bug with the restore process, its not all lost. The restore of you last backup is recoverable once you get the phone back working. The simplest way to do this is to restore the phone on a different machine (a mac would be best if you have access). Once thats done you can restore all your data on your own pc. The unlock should have happened when you tried to sync your iphone, other than that you should have had nothing to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

It's step by step on the link I gave you, it's a little tricky to get into DFU mode as the timing has to be precise.

1 Open I-tunes and connect your phone

2 Hold the Sleep button and the Home button for exactly 10 seconds, count it on your PC clock

3 After 10 Seconds release the sleep button only, continue to hold the home button untill I-tunes detects your phone in recovery mode.

The Phone will appear dead I.E. black screen this is normal.

I dont know if DFU mode will help. The issue is more likely a corruption of the dismantled ipsw file (the apple restore file) on the local machine. You could clean the mess up on the machine, you'll find the instructions on the web, its long but not too much of a killer

Redshift wrote: »
    It's step by step on the link I gave you, it's a little tricky to get into DFU mode as the timing has to be precise.

1 Open I-tunes and connect your phone

2 Hold the Sleep button and the Home button for exactly 10 seconds, count it on your PC clock

3 After 10 Seconds release the sleep button only, continue to hold the home button untill I-tunes detects your phone in recovery mode.

The Phone will appear dead I.E. black screen this is normal.

OK - I got it into the DFU mode & Its just finished. I'm now attempting to restore the phone from backup again - is that right?

Just got the same backup failed message.

• Advertisement

I dont know if DFU mode will help. The issue is more likely a corruption of the dismantled ipsw file (the apple restore file) on the local machine. You could clean the mess up on the machine, you'll find the instructions on the web, its long but not too much of a killer

I havent access to a mac unfortunately. I managed to get it into DFU mode and ran restore again. Everything went ok until it tried to restore my backup files. Got the same error message and the phone is showing no network & connect to iTunes icon
    Is the problem with my backup files?

There's some serious sobbing going on here. I reall appreciate your taking the time to help.

Yeah that sounds like a corrupt backup. All may not be lost..... you should have a list of possible restores from different dates, maybe the second last one may work. You can extract the data from backups with third party apps, photos etc. you can get the contacts in a sqlite file so it is possible even if all the backups are corrupt

Yeah that sounds like a corrupt backup. All may not be lost..... you should have a list of possible restores from different dates, maybe the second last one may work. You can extract the data from backups with third party apps, photos etc. you can get the contacts in a sqlite file so it is possible even if all the backups are corrupt

The only backups are all from today - tried them all - no joy
    It won't even allow me to set it up as a new phone & to be honest at this stage I'll settle for that though I'd love to recover the photos if possible

it just shows the same connect usb screen & doesn't recognise my sim ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭phill106

Phil I dont think its the recovery from the ipsw it seems to be the restore from back up. Its strange that only todays backups are available. i'll have to think about it but what error do you get when you try to set it up as a new phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭phill106

I know a new version of itunes came out in last day. Perhaps it is related?
    When you dfu'd it, and set it up as new phone, what was error? the itunes connect logo?

Phil I dont think its the recovery from the ipsw it seems to be the restore from back up. Its strange that only todays backups are available. i'll have to think about it but what error do you get when you try to set it up as a new phone
    phill106 wrote: »
    I know a new version of itunes came out in last day. Perhaps it is related?
    When you dfu'd it, and set it up as new phone, what was error? the itunes connect logo?

All of the backups from today might be related to the number of times I tried to sync to unlock.
    it's odd in that when I try to set it up as a new phone, it goes through all of the motions but does nothing - phone stays the same, no network, connect to usb icon & nothing from my library syncs

I did install the new version of itunes yesterday

I'm not sure but it sounds like your itunes has an issue. When you restore back to factory does that at least seem to work? you might need to make copies of your backups and try this software with them http://www.iphonebackupextractor.com/free-download/ I've not tried it but use something similar on the Mac and it works well. At that stage I would uninstall itunes and make sure you delete all of the backups and firmware files from their original locations. Then a registry clean would be in order and reinstall itunes and see if at least you can set it up as a new phone. You can then push the data back with the app above. I think the free version is enough, I wouldn't be paying for it anyway.

Downloaded iTunes on my netbook - connected the phone & it activated & unlocked straight away. Have lost everything but at least my phone works.
    Thanks so much guys

Just extract the broken backups with the above software and you should be able to get the info back. Best of luck

• Advertisement

Just extract the broken backups with the above software and you should be able to get the info back. Best of luck
    will give it a go in the morning & hopefully I'll be able to retrieve them - thanks again

Have managed to retrieve almost everyhing :D
    Thanks so much

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I'm not sure but it sounds like your itunes has an issue. When you restore back to factory does that at least seem to work? you might need to make copies of your backups and try this software with them http://www.iphonebackupextractor.com/free-download/ I've not tried it but use something similar on the Mac and it works well. At that stage I would uninstall itunes and make sure you delete all of the backups and firmware files from their original locations. Then a registry clean would be in order and reinstall itunes and see if at least you can set it up as a new phone. You can then push the data back with the app above. I think the free version is enough, I wouldn't be paying for it anyway.

What do you use on the mac Smokie?

iPhone Backup Extractor at http://supercrazyawesome.com/. It's even written by an Irish Guy!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

iPhone Backup Extractor at http://supercrazyawesome.com/. It's even written by an Irish Guy!

I'll have a look at that, Thanks.

Advertisement