Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gears and roundabouts

Options
  • 29-04-2010 6:29pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, sorry about the trivial question, but I'm wondering what is the best way to deal with gears on a roundabout.

For example, I often find myself entering the roundabout in 1st gear, intending to go straight through. However, the point at which I need to indicate left (at the 1st exit) and change to 2nd gear seems to occur at the exact same time.

Should I change to 2nd, then indicate, or indicate (while the engine is over-revving) and then change to 2nd gear, or go slower so I'm not over-revving it?

It's trivial but it is a problem that happens to me a lot. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Simple answer is that you shouldn't be in first gear unless you have come to a dead stop due to traffic approaching from the right... even then you should be able to start from 2nd gear..

If you are approaching the roundabout and you are taking the first exit, you should be indicating left before you come to the junction. This removes the need to indicate and change gear at the same time.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

If you are stationary and wanting to enter the roundabout, i would change up to second asap after you get moving. Giving you time to concentrate on signals/round position. It sounds "hectic", but really you should be able to change up to second immediately after setting off.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭scottyboy

I was always taught by my instructor - mirrors, signal, maneuver - and I use this logic at all junctions whether roundabouts, cross roads or t junctions etc. There are some exceptions like going straight ahead at a roundabout but it is a fairly good rule of thumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

If I have to come to a round about that has cars on it and so stop before entering it, I'ld be in 1st gear, yeah while entering the roundabout.

Then if I wanted to go straight ahead, taking the 2nd exit, I'ld probably leave it in 1st gear till after passing the 1st exist, indicate left, change to 2nd and move on.
    I wouldn't mind over revving it a little on the roundabout.

It mostly depends on the size of the roundabout. If its a small one, I'ld probably have to leave it in 1st till I've passed the 1st exist. If its one of those big two lane ones, then I'ld probably change to 2nd much sooner, probably even before passing the 1st exit and indicating left.

Actually come to think of it, I don't really think bout it much.
    I change gear when I need to and indicate after passing the 1st exit.
    After I move off in 1st gear, if it comes to a point I need to change gear and if the point is before the 1st exist, I'll change into 2nd first and indicate next. If I find myself passing the 1st exit first before getting to change gear, I'll signal first and then change gear. As I said, it really depends on the size of the roundabout.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Then if I wanted to go straight ahead, taking the 2nd exit, I'ld probably leave it in 1st gear till after passing the 1st exist, indicate left, change to 2nd and move on.
    I wouldn't mind over revving it a little on the roundabout.

It mostly depends on the size of the roundabout. If its a small one, I'ld probably have to leave it in 1st till I've passed the 1st exist. If its one of those big two lane ones, then I'ld probably change to 2nd much sooner, probably even before passing the 1st exit and indicating left.

Actually come to think of it, I don't really think bout it much.
    I change gear when I need to and indicate after passing the 1st exit.
    After I move off in 1st gear, if it comes to a point I need to change gear and if the point is before the 1st exist, I'll change into 2nd first and indicate next. If I find myself passing the 1st exit first before getting to change gear, I'll signal first and then change gear. As I said, it really depends on the size of the roundabout.
    Doing that will almost certainly get a fault for gears. Roundabouts, other than exceptional circumstances, should always be entered in second. Shouldnt be in first gear at all afair, save for when moving from a standing start.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Thanks for the replies.

Sorry for the confusion, I mean when moving off from a stationary position (in 1st gear).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Should I change to 2nd, then indicate, or indicate (while the engine is over-revving) and then change to 2nd gear, or go slower so I'm not over-revving it?

It's trivial but it is a problem that happens to me a lot. Thanks for reading.
    First of all, engines have rev limiters to stop them from being 'over-revved'. The engine will not fall out onto the road if you stay in gear for a second or two past the point where you normally change up.

In normal driving, there is no 'point' at which you need to change up, there is a range in which you can consider changing up, and you choose the most appropriate time based on the situation. Change up late, and make a little noise, or change up early and get a little less acceleration, neither should be a problem.

Unless of course you have traffic bearing down on you from the right, which you shouldn't have :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Doing that will almost certainly get a fault for gears. Roundabouts, other than exceptional circumstances, should always be entered in second. Shouldnt be in first gear at all afair, save for when moving from a standing start.

Yeah, that's what I was talking about.
    I'ld always enter a roundabout in 2nd (or 3rd if its one of those big 2 lane roundabouts). But sometimes when there's people coming from the right, you have to stop at the roundabout to let them pass and then move off in 1st...

Advertisement