Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MOT not NCT

Options
  • 29-04-2010 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭

I'm contemplating buying a NI car, and need some info.

Is an MOT worth the paper it's written on?
    Is it similar to an NCT, checks wise?
    Would the car be decent enough with an MOT?
    Would an MOT'd car pass an NCT check?

Thanks in advance
    Neuro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

MOT cert is no good to you. You will have to get it NCT'd here before you can tax it here.Very unlikely that an MOT'd car would pass NCT. The MOT is carried out by private garages and can be a bit hit and miss.It is not as stringent as NCT. Better have it checked out by your local man before testing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The MOT isn't carried out by private garages in NI, its carried out by a state appointed testing network much like here. This means its a far more reliable indicator there than it is on a GB car.

Its not as stringent as the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Thanks for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I wouldn't buy a car on the strength of an NCT certificate, let alone an MOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Better than nothing though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Very unlikely that an MOT'd car would pass NCT.

Thats a very broad a sweeping statment Kristopherus. Granted the test critera which a MOT certified car was subjected to may not be as strict as that of the NCT but to say that its very unlikely a MOT'd car would pass the NCT is going a bit too far I'd think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭feelites

You will have to get it NCT'd here before you can tax it here

u dont need NCT fot tax purposes
    the only thing u need is a log book with irish reg so once u pay VRT and get that paper, u can tax the car

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Better than nothing though...

I dunno, I once bought a BeeEmm in Scotland, from a serving police officer......had a brand spanking new MoT.

Something was amiss with the brakes when I got it home, though.

A helicoil thread insert in a brake caliper is a bodge, pure and simple. And the guys that MoT'd , who may have been the people that did the helicoil, weren't going to p-off a Constable........

Not worth a hill'o'beans, imho.........proper independant inspection, only, or nothing.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

An NCT or MOT is only an indication of the car's condition on the day of the test. If it's a fairly recent MOT then it may stand a good chance of getting an NCT, ignoring the differences between the two testing standards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

MYOB wrote: »
    The MOT isn't carried out by private garages in NI, its carried out by a state appointed testing network much like here. This means its a far more reliable indicator there than it is on a GB car.

Its not as stringent as the NCT.

They may be carried out by some state appointed testing networks like here, but they're not the only ones you can get an MOT cert off of.

There are some garages/mechanics that are authorised to give out MOT's and if their friend comes in and asks them nicely, they can easily MOT something that wouldn't normally pass.

I think our NCT centres are kitted out with equipment that most garages won't have (emissions test to name one) so I think the MOT isn't using as high standards as the NCT especially when they're not regulated (for abuse) as strictly as our NCT.

My brother and I were buying a car in the UK about 4 months ago and the seller's relatives owned a garage who were quickly able to write up an MOT while we were travelling over (which obviously wasn't worth sh1t).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

There are some garages/mechanics that are authorised to give out MOT's and if their friend comes in and asks them nicely, they can easily MOT something that wouldn't normally pass.

Where exactly are these garages that are so authorised? I do not believe that NI MOTs can be issued other than in DVTA test centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

List of tests:
    http://www.motester.co.uk/CarOwnersGuidetoTheMOT/WhatIsTested.aspx

not much difference between it and NCT tbh, much like in Ireland you see cars on the road and you wonder "how the feck did that pile of crap pass the test"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

ardmacha wrote: »
    Where exactly are these garages that are so authorised? I do not believe that NI MOTs can be issued other than in DVTA test centres.

I'm pretty sure it's only the DVTA in N.I (after looking), but I was referencing England in my last post (as that's where I witnessed it first hand), which was probably misleading now that I reread it. I wrongly assumed GB and N.I conducted the MOT the same way which they obviously don't. My bad.

So, seems an NI MOT is probably worth a little more than a GB one?

Advertisement