Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Footbaths for cows

Options
  • 29-04-2010 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

just wondering does anyone use these and can you expect to see an improvement in cows that use footbaths regularily. the reason i ask is ourt hoof pairer mentioned it last year to me, sufggesting taht i should start using one, any thoughts on what the best method to use and what solution should you use would be helpful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

bealaha wrote: »
    just wondering does anyone use these and can you expect to see an improvement in cows that use footbaths regularily. the reason i ask is ourt hoof pairer mentioned it last year to me, sufggesting taht i should start using one, any thoughts on what the best method to use and what solution should you use would be helpful.

Used to have a lot of problems with footrot in sheep a few years ago so we put une in a crush for them. It solved our problem. Have never had to put cows through it. We used bluestone at first, but at the latter, we changed to formaldehyde which completely eradicated foot rot from the herd. Don't know if you can buy the stuff anymore, there used to be serious fumes from it and you needed a good face mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I think JFC were selling footbaths for cows a few years ago that would fit in a crush.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

osmonds have a piece in this weeks farm exam (in examiner on thursdays) about them, well more about foot rot etc

Advertisement