Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Holy Land.

Options
  • 29-04-2010 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

Is it safe to visit do you think? was just watching the news, and another thing that annoyed me very much so that when I saw the Holy Sepulchre the journalist mentioned that 6 denominations of Christians watch over the place and although they try to keep the peace, disputes often break out. for example he pointed to an old wooden ladder that was put up on a ledge for restoration, and a dispute broke out between all sides as to who should take it down, and it remains there and has done so for many years.

I must say the thought that came to mind was, for all of us Catholics, Orthodox Protestants who claim to represent Love I am ashamed and appalled by such behaviour, particularly done on Our Lords Holy ground. :(

Do you share my sadness?

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Is it safe to visit do you think?

Nowhere safer I'd say. There are so many people carrying guns you can't help but pity the criminal who'd pop his head above the parapet. Sure there's the chance of terrorist action but you're more likely to get knocked down crossing the street at home.
    ..when I saw the Holy Sepulchre the journalist mentioned that 6 denominations of Christians watch over the place and although they try to keep the peace, disputes often break out. for example he pointed to an old wooden ladder that was put up on a ledge for restoration, and a dispute broke out between all sides as to who should take it down, and it remains there and has done so for many years.

That's religion for you. Clean on the outside, dead mens bones on the inside.
    I must say the thought that came to mind was, for all of us Catholics, Orthodox Protestants who claim to represent Love I am ashamed and appalled by such behaviour, particularly done on Our Lords Holy ground. :(

That they claim to represent love doesn't actually mean they do so I can't say I share your shame. Nor do I think my Lord considers ground 'holy'. It's only ground afterall. Dirt..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I visited Israel a few years ago. At that time I was told that a tourist had never been killed there. I don't know if that is correct, but if so it would make Israel a much safer place to visit than Ireland.

I find it very sad indeed the way that people who call themselves Christians behave in a most unChristian way, even to the extent of physically attacking each other, but sadly they've been doing that for close on 2000 years. :(

As for Israel being "the holy land", I'm with antiskeptic on this one. It's just dirt, and no more holy than anywhere else. Jerusalem was the Holy City when God dwelt in the Holy of Holies in the Tabernacle & Temple, and the new Jerusalem will be the Holy City when God dwells there for all eternity in the future, but in our day I don't see Jerusalem as being any more holy than Athlone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I worked for a short while in Israel a few years back and it reminded me very much of views northern Ireland. From the news you'd expect tanks and bombs everything in both cases (Israel and Norn Iron); but this was not the case.

Can't speak for now of course, but personally I wouldn't be put off visiting it right now.

Advertisement