Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Someone chipped paint on my car!

Options
  • 29-04-2010 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi All,

I was sitting in a tesco car park yesterday waiting for my mam and the person who was parked beside me came back to their car and as absolutely wholloped their door into my passenger side.
    I got out of my car and went around to the side to see if they had damaged it and sure enough there was a small chip out of the paint where the door had hit.
    The other driver just looked at me and said "i don't think it was me" to which i then opened his door up to prove it matched exactly on the point he had hit.
    His door was full of knicks and chips so this individual obviously thinks nothing of smacking his door into other peoples cars since they didn't even look up or pull their door back when they hit mine.
    The paint is chipped down to the car frame which means it will eventually rust if i don't top it up or get it professionally done.
    I don't really need to get it professionally done as it's very small but there's no way i'm paying out for a fix up kit when this person had to be reminded they hadn't even apologised and was completely oblivious to the fact that they had even smacked off my car...and it was a good whack i assure you.
    So what should i do? Should i ring them and get to pay for whetever kit i need to get? I'm raging because it's a fairly new car i hate leaving it in car parks for this very reason. :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

House mate did the exact same to me and denied all knowledge a while back. Small nick and dent. Could have gotten dent out but decided to get the whole door done. About £300 all in from what I remember.

If you just touch it up it might make it even more noticable. As it's a newish car I'd be pushing for a respray of the door. Might be harsh to most people but damage is damage and you're entitled to get it back to its original condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Did you take insurance details? If they're not willing to pay up voluntarily then hit them with a claim. Get professional quotes for repair.

Oh, and always park in the empty end of the car park; there are plenty more feckers like that out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd just go through their insurance, keeps it simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭guideanna

Just took his bus card and his reg but won't be a problem tracking him down from that. I think i'll go get the quote (even tho i'll feel a bit stupid coz it's so small) and then i'll ring him and ask him does he want to pay it or i can go through his insurance. Feel terrible doing that but it's true he hit off my car so it's up to him to pay for the damage to it.
    Thanks lads just wanted to make sure i wasn't over reacting!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

guideanna wrote: »
    Feel terrible doing that

Fυck him. It might teach him to be a bit more respectful of other peoples' property in future!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

cjt156 wrote: »
    Did you take insurance details? If they're not willing to pay up voluntarily then hit them with a claim. Get professional quotes for repair.

Oh, and always park in the empty end of the car park; there are plenty more feckers like that out there.

I do this all the time! I park on the upper floors in the multi stories to no end of giving out from my missus.

"Why did you park in there?" Becuase I didnt want to squeeze into the spot next to the jeep thats over the line and the family saloon with baby seats in the back!

Advertisement