Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No tax on jeep

Options
  • 29-04-2010 1:55pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok,
    I neglected to tax my jeep for the last few months( almost 5) and was in town this morning and got hit with a 60e fine by a TRAFFIC WARDEN. Can they do this?
    I've been sort of protesting about the potholes that have been growing on the roads around here since last November. Do you think I could appeal this one? Or should I just pay up and shutup? :(

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I think you answered your own question with your final sentence. If you don't pay it, you will be brought to court and I think you could end up with penalty points.

I remember once I made muck of a brand new tyre on the Jeep with a large pothole. I was raging mad with the council as the hole had formed where water ran out onto the road from a trench that the council JCB had made a few weeks earlier - only problem was that the "intelligent person" on the JCB dug it the wrong way and water flowed onto the road instead of off it.

Anyway, I got my solicitor to send the council a letter with the bill for a new tyre. I did receive a cheque for it, but a couple of days later I received a letter from the council with a marked map showing all the hedges that I owned along public roads and showing some trees that they considered dangerous and wanted removed.

It ended up costing me a lot more than the Jeep tyre.

PS. They won't pay for tyres anymore folling some court judgement in 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭aristo

blue5000 wrote: »
    Ok,
    I neglected to tax my jeep for the last few months( almost 5) and was in town this morning and got hit with a 60e fine by a TRAFFIC WARDEN. Can they do this?
    I've been sort of protesting about the potholes that have been growing on the roads around here since last November. Do you think I could appeal this one? Or should I just pay up and shutup? :(

This can be appealed and the decision can be appealed a second time if your not happy with the outcome, but could lead to an increase to €90 and you will have to back tax it for april at least, and to avoid the other months get the gardai to stamp and sign a form saying that it was off the road,(blatant lie!) but they might check your reg on the pulse system to see if it was on the road.
    The traffic warden can issue these, and gardai are now impounding untaxed/vrt'd vehicles.
    Protesting about the potholes wont lead to anything, they just say motor tax isn't ring fenced for roads alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

aristo wrote: »
    This can be appealed and the decision can be appealed a second time if your not happy with the outcome, but could lead to an increase to €90 and you will have to back tax it for april at least, and to avoid the other months get the gardai to stamp and sign a form saying that it was off the road,(blatant lie!) but they might check your reg on the pulse system to see if it was on the road.
    The traffic warden can issue these, and gardai are now impounding untaxed/vrt'd vehicles.
    Protesting about the potholes wont lead to anything, they just say motor tax isn't ring fenced for roads alone
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

blue5000 wrote: »
    Ok,

was the fine for being out of tax or was it due to parking in double yellow lines or something like that, like why would a traffic warden give a fine of 60e for 5 months tax on a jeep which would be valued more than 60 wouldnt it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I would be inclined to pay the fine, get the back tax sorted and get on with life. Protesting kinda backfires if you've done something wrong yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭FixItAginTomora

Well lads,
    Same happened to me a while back on car, best advice is to pay fine, then go to guards to get tax form stampped that it has been "off the road" the last while. At least this way you can get away with not back taxing it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Thanks for all the comments lads, it looks like we have very honest upstanding posters on here, will have to get the doe test done as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭dasheriff

lad just an extra bit of advice if the gards catch you driving with tax expired over 3 months they can impound the jeep..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

yeah got threatened with that one a few yrs back, and showed em my student card....

Advertisement