Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car off the road, reclaiming motor tax

Options
  • 29-04-2010 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I have a 1998cc car that is crashed and off the road 1 month into a 6 month tax disk. I sent in the forum to claim back the tax since the car is off the road.

I got a letter back saying I will be refunded €256 in licensing fees for the vehicle. That's great and all but what is this licensing fee I'm being refunded and am I entitled to claim back motor tax?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Refunds of motor tax

It is possible in certain circumstances, to claim a refund of motor tax. Your application for a refund, should be made directly to you local motor tax office, on Form RF120 (pdf). Circumstances where you may claim a refund of motor tax include;

* The vehicle has been scrapped/destroyed or sent permanently out of the State,
    * The vehicle has been stolen and has not been recovered by the owner,
    * The vehicle has not been taken out or used in a public place at any time since the issue of the current disc,
    * The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of illness, injury or other physical disability, to use the vehicle,
    * The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of absence from the state for business or educational purposes, to use the vehicle,
    * The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of service overseas with the Defence Forces, to use the vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yes that's right. All that info was on the forum I filled out and sent off. Then I get a letter back talking about a licencing fee refund. Nothing to do with motor tax :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

motor tax = road fund licence fee

Oh ok, I never heard it called that before it's not even mentioned on the motortax.ie site . 6 months tax = €614 would it be normal to only get only €256 with 5 months left?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

12 months tax = €614 for a 2.0 car.

Tuxy c'mon man, it's been road fund licence for donkeys

• Advertisement

Ah damn yeah what was I thinking, that figure is right.

It can't be too many donkeys years. the offical site https://www.motortax.ie does not mention it and I think they update that every year. And a google search says nothing about it's existance.

Advertisement