Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing Blacknight test URL from SERPs

Options
  • 29-04-2010 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭

Hi,

The site I manage is hosted on Blacknight and I'm wondering about how best to stop the xxxxxxxxx.blacknight.com alias URL that we used to test the site before going live from showing up in search results.

The pages don't have massive pagerank but doing a search for site:xxxxxxxxx.blacknight.com shows that a number of URLs have been indexed and I'd obviously rather that nobody ever saw them there.

I presume it's a robots.txt solution but just wondering how that works when the root directory is the same both URLs - will search engines understand what's going on?

Cheers.

PS: Mods, I've posted a similar thread in the Blacknight 'Talk to' forum but want other users' opinions too if possible so hope it can be left both places...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Oops, I've just seen the bit about a similar thread. Soz blacknight, I wouldn't have moved this if I'd seen it first. OP you can't ask tech support questions about specific hosting companies on the Development or Design forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Sorry, didn't really think it was just a Blacknight question - I was just asking about doing it by redirect vs doing it with robots.txt vs doing it by URL removal, etc.

Anyway, think I'm sorted now so thanks...

Advertisement