Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

twisted abomasum

Options
  • 29-04-2010 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

vet operated on a cow 2 weeks ago ... now after the op i asked vet did cow need to go on a course of pen/strep or betamox she said no .... now the cow has peritonitis :mad: me thinks the vet was wrong , what do you think

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Did the cow get antibiotics at the time? I had one a few years back, vet operated on it but said before he started that her chances were slim, and guess what, cow died 3 hours later. What exactly did the vet say to you? I think their chances are pretty slim anyway with this.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i asked did she need antibiotics after and she said no , then 2 weeks later she puts her on betamox and pen/strep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

whelan1 wrote: »
    i asked did she need antibiotics after and she said no , then 2 weeks later she puts her on betamox and pen/strep

for peritonitis i would be inclined to use a drug with a little more kick, but then i'm not a vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Pacoa

I had a cow operated on last year and she had to be put on antibiotic the day before they operated, said it would be better and im pretty sure she was on antibiotic for a week after. She was an LDA last year and this year she was RDA so into the factory she went and to top it off they rejected her for the food chain so im thinking it's a waste of time doing them. What do yee think?

I'd agree with you, I know someone who had 3, 1 died, 1 still alive but knackered and 1 ok, whats causing it is it sudden changes in feed?

• Advertisement

blue5000 wrote: »
    I'd agree with you, I know someone who had 3, 1 died, 1 still alive but knackered and 1 ok, whats causing it is it sudden changes in feed?

we never had a case until last year,... always fed plenty of straw, provided straw and baled silage etc at calving,

about this time last year 6 cows calved in 3 days, 4 of them had DA within a few days even though they were provided with above,

we rolled and stomach tubed 2 of them, surgery on 1 and the vet said the last one wasn't suitable for either,

we used €80 worth of coffee and i dont know how many stomach powders and glycerine, but they all survived.. kept them off grass and meal for about 10 days

what caused it ? still don't know :confused:

one that was operated on will always be a screw if she lives have another one and i dont know whether to operate or shoot ? shes on coffee and stimulex and noraclav this last 3 days and not improving:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

vet operated on a cow 2 weeks ago ... now after the op i asked vet did cow need to go on a course of pen/strep or betamox she said no .... now the cow has peritonitis :mad: me thinks the vet was wrong , what do you think

we had two this year, vets give a sheet with what to do for 3 days am and pm

she was getting pen strep once a day for 3 days and rumen booster and chanatol twice a day for 3 days if i can remember correctly, she didnt eat ration for a while after, out her on grass she started to nibble away and now is back to normal, she had good condition after calving so this helped alot. Becoming more and more common around cork in the last few years, vets never see it in beef animals as they aren't under same stress he said.

Reckon your vet made a bad call there with the antibiotics and if she did with that she might have made bad call with the operation hence not a great success. cow that got lda last year didnt this year thank god.

As for whats causing it... its my under standing that when the calf is in the cow there is little room between the stomachs but after calving the room is increased and the abomasum rises as its full of gas and gets displaced (Left Displaced Abomasum), prehaps bigger calves are more so a problem?

tbh this particular vet does not have a very good success rate with us ... i am the type that doesnt loose my temper until i have to BUT the op was 180 euro and 2 more visits after and loads of drugs now!! imo 2 stimulex a day for 2 days after the op does not suffice to cover her recovery

tbh this particular vet does not have a very good success rate with us ... i am the type that doesnt loose my temper until i have to BUT the op was 180 euro and 2 more visits after and loads of drugs now!! imo 2 stimulex a day for 2 days after the op does not suffice to cover her recovery

no 2 cases the same, the 1 we operated was about 13 years old , the vet said she has no chance what so ever without op. but didnt think she would make it, after the op she was more confident and said the op went well but her age was against her, in fact the cow was game ball the following morning and never looked back

the 1 we done nothing with, other than drenching was the slowest, would be fine one day and humped the next.

one of the vets ( girl from canada) seemed to be far more experienced in this field than the irish,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭babybrian

Any time I have ever seen them done in Australia the cows always get penstrep or mycin injections.
    Isnt it also true that chances of survival are much greater from an LDA as opposed to an RDA?correct me if I am wrong..:rolleyes:

babybrian wrote: »
    Any time I have ever seen them done in Australia the cows always get penstrep or mycin injections.
    Isnt it also true that chances of survival are much greater from an LDA as opposed to an RDA?correct me if I am wrong..:rolleyes:
    this was an rda ...

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭babybrian

I hope for your sake she recovers.
    I know the farmer here who is very good at animal health will consider if the cows input to the herd(age, yield etc.)
    I have seen him get all LDA's operated on and 2 out of 4 RDA's operated on because they were 2 excellent cows. The other 2 sadly went to the green pastures in the skies!!!!

at the end of the day disposal costs are 55 euro and i have now spent at least 8 times that on treatment for her

at the end of the day how much would she produce in milk next year would be my view there

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Pacoa

Found this webpage with some interesting videos on LDA's etc. Don't think the vets in this country ever use this method. I've never seen it been done.

http://cvm.msu.edu/alumni-friends/continuing-education/r-and-t

John_F wrote: »
    at the end of the day how much would she produce in milk next year would be my view there
    AT THIS STAGE SHE IS NOT GOING TO PRODUCE ANYTHING HAS GIVEN A DROP OF MILK SINCE TUESDAY BUT IS EATING

AT THIS STAGE SHE IS NOT GOING TO PRODUCE ANYTHING HAS GIVEN A DROP OF MILK SINCE TUESDAY BUT IS EATING

thats why i said next year :rolleyes:

once the withdrawal period is up I reckon byebye

hopefully she will survive that long:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement