Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Towing

Options
  • 29-04-2010 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭

Whats the law regarding towing a vehicle.
    Just passed a Clapped out Transit being towed.
    Do you need valid motor tax, vehicle insurance and or NCT .
    Does the driver need a licence.

Comments

If it's towed with a rope it's illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

All I know is when I was 16 and 17 (before I'd a license) I used to be the driver in the towed vehicle!! Them were the days.....I wouldn't try it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

RoverJames wrote: »

Didn't know this. Why? I still tow cars with a rope if I'd to tow one....actually keep the rope in the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't think the towed vehicle needs anything (tax, NCT etc).
    Pretty sure you need a licence to be towed though, as you are in fact operating the towed car (it's just not running).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

Ill just tell you what I saw.

Flat bed truck with a saloon on it, from the drivers door to front bumper hanging out over the back of flat bed, then a transit being towed by rope behind with a gassun trying to keep it straight.
    I passed them out and a sturdy looking bloke on his mobile having a chat driving.
    Speed 100kpm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

RoverJames wrote: »
    About three weeks ago I saw an Aviva van towing a car with a tow rope in South Dublin, was a bit late with my cam. I wonder what the outcome with insurance had the vehicle been in a collision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

From what I'm aware there isn't any specific law against the ropes, but if the guards deem it to be towed in a dangerous manner then the driver could face prosecution.

It's a bit of a grey area, because in the eyes of a good few guards a rope is a complete danger unless your only moving the vehicle from a short distance because it broke down or is at risk of causing a collision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I never use a rope for towing. I did it once and it was a scary ride.

I now use a towing bar. These are a fixed length bar with lockable hooks at either end. These are the job because the car in front is controlling both the pulling and braking.

I use a buddy's one. He got it in Lidl or Aldi and it's TUV approved as well.

Advertisement