Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hospice visit

Options
  • 29-04-2010 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

a friend of mine was diagnosed with cancer a few months ago and has had 2 major operations, both were successful in that the doctors managed to get the tumors, however, the cancer has come back and my friend needs chemo but the doctors are saying that she's too weak at this stage to get it....

i'm hearing most of this second hand because my mate tries to put on a brave face and doesnt want anyone worrying and i just heard that she is going for a "hospice visit" next week "to see how it all works."

obviously i dont want to ask her or the people who are telling me, but does this mean the end? are they preparing her or what's going on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Hi,
    I'm sorry to hear about your friend. There are a lot of misconceptions about hospices and one of them is that it's the last resort and where people go to die. Yes of course people do die there but the aim is palliative rather than end of life care. The person can get the pain relief and care and attention that they need in a more "homelike" environment than a hospital. Of course individual situations vary and while some people may not be there very long before they pass away there are also people who could spend time in a hospice on and off for years or to give their familes or carers some respite. Only your friend and her family and doctors will know where on that scale you friend is. It is a much more personal environment than a hospital for people with a terminal illness whatever stage they are at.

Advertisement