Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are large company policies on hiring in Nothern Ireland regarding religion?

Options
  • 29-04-2010 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

What the large company policies on hiring in Northern Ireland? Do they have to hire an equal number of protestant and catholic’s? Are there any legislation regarding this? I am doing this for a college assignment; I would be very grateful for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

I'm not sure of the actual legal obligations for this, as I can't find one, but you usually find with the larger companies they hand out a seperate sheet referring to your religious background for reasons of equal employment.

There's been a push in the last few years to even out the number (primarily as far as I know) of catholics and protestants working together.

You could ask here what individuals experience is with this, but you'd be better asking here or searching for specific N.Ireland employment laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Fat Al

thanks ][ceman**

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

http://www.equalityni.org/sections/default.asp?cms=Your+Rights_Fair+employment+%26+treatment&cmsid=2_56&id=56&secid=2

Employers submit returns to the NI Equality Commission every so often on how many of each (m/f protestant, catholic etc) are employed, and have applied for employment with the organisation. That's why employers won't consider a job application without the completed Monitoring Form. The result of that and any glaring majority either way is that you very often see job advertisements saying that applications are particularly welcome from a certain sector of the community (Catholic men, Protestant women etc.).

As far as I know there are no sanctions imposed on organisations or companies who have an unusually high proportion of employees from one sector of the community unless a complaint is made either by an employee or an applicant that they have been treated unfairly on the basis of their religion. Even without complaint, the Equality Commission may encourage a company to review their recruitment policies in order that a more equal balance of applicants/employees is achieved. That might include for example advertising jobs in newspapers/forums geared toward the sector which is under-represented.

Advertisement