Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting External Walls

Options
  • 29-04-2010 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,

I am thinking about powerwashing and painting external walls of our house during the summer when I have a few weeks off, but the house is quite high so I am thinking of hiring a cherry picker to reach the top instead of working off a ladder. I have no experience of working a cherry picker, and I was wondering...

A) Is there any type which is easier to use than others?
    B) Can anybody hire one or would you need some training/safety cert?
    C) Anybody know somewhere where they have used before and did a good deal?
    D) The likely costs of hiring one for possiblt 2-4days?

If I had to guess i'd say the walls are about50-60feet on one side.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Crapjob Sean

Hi,

I am thinking about powerwashing and painting external walls of our house during the summer when I have a few weeks off, but the house is quite high so I am thinking of hiring a cherry picker to reach the top instead of working off a ladder. I have no experience of working a cherry picker, and I was wondering...

C) Anybody know somewhere where they have used before and did a good deal?
    D) The likely costs of hiring one for possiblt 2-4days?

If I had to guess i'd say the walls are about50-60feet on one side.

I can't answer all your questions, but I do know that the training is quite brief.
    The delivery guy will usually show you what's what and likely get you to sign something that you understood what you were told.

Also, if you're using it for painting, they probably won't want to get it back covered in paint. Painting at height and keeping your cherry picker covered can be a pain.

Have you considered scaffolding?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 interested1

Ok thanks for that.

I have thought about scaffolding but I reckon the aluminium towers wont be high enough and the fixed scaffolding will be just too much hassle to put up and take down and also I would probably need someone certified to put it up I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭altor

Genie S-60 Telescopic Boom might suit you, it can reach up to 66 ft

Realistically you need training and a cert to use one. They do day courses in cherry picker in Ashbourne but you would have to ring to get more info off them plus get a price when your at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Why power-wash?

Unless you are careful you will do more harm than good to the wall with the power-washer

• Registered Users Posts: 12 interested1

Thanks Altor....

Carlow 52, its a dashed wall and there is dirt and grime that has built up over time and I think it would be a better finish if it was washed first. Plus if im hiring a cherry picker it would be handy to wash it too i reckon.......

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Could power washing the walls and pebble dash damage the dashing and cause/force water and damp to get into the actual wall itself and then cause more problems later on down the road???

You need a cert or ticket for a chery picker,(or MEWP) as its to do with safety and also insurance purposes in the event of an accident or fatality.

I think this also now applies to scaffold towers too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

most places will charge you between 300-500 per week for a cherry picker,maybe less now considering they must have hundreds lying idle in yards.you only need a cert if your on a site.the driver will show you how to operate it.forget about scaffold it will cost thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I'm sure I heard something a while back that certs are now required for all situations, even DIY. I imagine a novice is more likely to hurt himself/others at home than on a site where at least there's some chance he has been shown how to operate the equipment.

You need a cert................end of

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dianvest

You really need well trained cherry picker workers or experts on repairs, it would be too risky if you do it on your own.
    Yah, you need to, to certify that he works at his/her best
    It will probably cost you $20-$30 a day for each worker.

Also,any house insurance and public liability insurance you have,would become null and void,if you were to have an accident with the cherry picker and you were not trained to operate it.

This is how people are seriously injured at home or die,due to not being propperly trained to opperate at piece of machinery.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

paddy147 wrote: »
    You need a cert or ticket for a chery picker,(or MEWP) as its to do with safety and also insurance purposes

Its a one day course, a lot of the hire places run these courses if you supply the numbers. Or they will put you on their list untill they get some people together. Generally they will look for 6 or more people. Its a one day course. A lot of it is ,like the Safe Pass, common knowledge, and is there to cover themselves & pass on the responsability.

Advertisement