Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

department name in Irish

Options
  • 29-04-2010 9:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hello there,

I wonder if anyone could translate the name of my department for me into Irish.

I'd love to do it myself but I have not yet got over the stage in learning Irish where I could do more than talk about Máirtín's milk cows (beithigh bhainne Mháirtín, if I remember correctly ;-)).

The name of my department in English would something like:

Ticket Control Unit, or
    Ticket Control Office.

Thanks a lot! - go raibh mille agaibh (?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭maupat

Ticket Control Unit - Aonad Smachta Ticéid

Ticket Control Office - Oifig Smachta Ticéid

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

I would put "riaracháin" instead of "smachta".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Rialaithe (the genitive form of Rialú) tends to be the most commonly used term in officialdom in Irish for 'control'. See some examples here:

An Rannóg Rialaithe Feithiclí

An tÚdarás Rialaithe Tógála

Ionad Rialaithe Tráchta

You also have to remember that there is more than one ticket being controlled (even if it's expressed in the singular in English), so in Irish it would need to be in the genitive (weak) plural i.e. Ticéad.

So I'd recommend Oifig Rialaithe Ticéad for Ticket Control Office and Aonad Rialaithe Ticéad for Ticket Control Unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭stephanus

Sounds great!
    Working for an international company means they're giving you more and more English language terms and it makes me feel a little like Robin Hood by using my own language or any other language I know in a rebellious way. :D
    So I can now put a sign on my office door saying:

"Oifig Rialaithe Ticéad".

Thanks a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 behanjp

Hey there,

I dont mean to crash this post but I was hoping someone could help me.

I am about to propose to my girlfriend. She is a fluent Irish speaker and I thought it would be nice to try and do it in IRish. If someone could translate something small for me that I wanted to say could they send me a private mesage and let me know?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement