Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No fifth gear or reverse

Options
  • 29-04-2010 9:13am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a Citreon Xsara X '99.

I had to get fifth gear rebuilt(if that's the term) a few months ago.
    Driving home last night all of a sudden I couldn't push over to the right to vertically push it into fifth. Slightly different to the last time I lost fifth.

Pulling out of the drive this morning I noticed I couldn't get reverse either.
    I had a similar incident in my old rover metro where I lost 3rd and 4th, that was a linkage.

I'm hoping that it's the same issue with the Xsara!

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

My money is on the linkage.

Test for yourself, get somebody to get into the car and note which way the linkage operates at the gearbox and give a little extra help moving selector arm into the 5th gear/reverse direction.

If you can now select these gears, its the linkage

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

mullingar wrote: »
    My money is on the linkage.

Test for yourself, get somebody to get into the car and note which way the linkage operates at the gearbox and give a little extra help moving selector arm into the 5th gear/reverse direction.

If you can now select these gears, its the linkage

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Sounds like gear linkage to me as well, if the other gears are fine then that points to the gear linkage being the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Linkage/selector for sure. Not uncommon.

Advertisement