Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Internet explorer removal?!

Options
  • 29-04-2010 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭

Hey

I have a dell xps notebook (about 3 years old) running Vista. I have IE8 and yesterday all of a sudden when i opened it as normal i get an error message saying it's stopped working and the only option is to close the error message and IE closes down - so I can't get into IE8 at all.

So i downloaded opera using my ps3 and installed that so i can get online on the laptop at least. I downloaded IE8 to try to re-install it however when i try to do this is won't let me, saying there's a version already installed.

I tried using the vista windows update and problem solving section but no help there. I tried removing IE8 using the vista remove programs section and updates, but it doesn't appear on the list.

Using microsofts website i tried using the alternative way of removing is by typing a command into the command prompt (just pasting it in) but this doesn't work either!

So I don't know what to try now. All i want to do is remove IE8 and re-install it. Even the program files on the HD won't allow me to delete them as they say i don't have access.

Any ideas? Or even is there a fix to the original error message? It doesn't offer any solutions and i can't get into IE8 so what to do?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

I'd the same hassle with IE8 so, downloaded firefox...then installed IE7 and it's sorted out my p.c...for me IE8 was terrible, slow, and just peed me off. I tried everywhere to uninstall but it just wouldn't happen so finally resorted to 7.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Type internet explorer in start menu, choose the one with safe mode after it, should fix the problem, its more than likely a bad addon

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I'd the same hassle with IE8 so, downloaded firefox...then installed IE7 and it's sorted out my p.c...for me IE8 was terrible, slow, and just peed me off. I tried everywhere to uninstall but it just wouldn't happen so finally resorted to 7.

i don't think it's lets me - if i try to install ie7 it will say a later version is installed and then won't let me :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

yoyo wrote: »
    Type internet explorer in start menu, choose the one with safe mode after it, should fix the problem, its more than likely a bad addon

Nick

OK ill try that later, do you mean in the start search box? Also if it will let me start in safe mode how do i then fix the problem so i can get in normally?

This really is frustrating, not being able to simpley delete a program to re-install it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

its annoying alright I suppose I was fortunate enough as I recall now what I did then was go into recently installed updates in the control panel and uninstalled IE8 This brought me back to IE7

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

OK ill try that later, do you mean in the start search box? Also if it will let me start in safe mode how do i then fix the problem so i can get in normally?

This really is frustrating, not being able to simpley delete a program to re-install it

Yes, all you need to do is type internet explorer in search, click on the icon for "Internet Explorer (no addons) icon, and it should load, in Win XP the icon is named IE (Safe Mode) so sorry if this added confusion! You cant actually remove IE from Windows, but this trick should work for ya

Nick

Advertisement