Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home network on Clrearwire's modem?

Options
  • 29-04-2010 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

I have Clearwire's modem (Motorola MOTOWI4 CPE i150) and 2 computers connected to modem by switch, both sharing internet signal from that modem. Recently I put them into one workgroup to share hard drives content and it worked well for few days. But my small network is not working any more (however I still have internet on both computers). I see that computers works with different subnet and gateway. I restarted everything few times with hope that correct settings will come back again but with no success. All settings are dynamically managed by Clearwire's modem (DHCP) and I cant set them manually - if I do so, there is no connection at all (even to internet).

Computer 1: Subnet mask 255.255.224.0, Gateway 85.134.192.1
    Computer 2: Subnet mask 255.255.192.0, Gateway 85.134.128.1
    I can ping computer 2 from computer 1, bot not vice versa. I presume that's because computer 1 is out of computer 2 subnet address.

Any help? I tried to access Clearwire's modem settings but no success... I wonder why it is assigning different masks and gateways for 2 identically connected computers? Unfortunately I have very bad experience with Clearwire's helpdesk, and expect no help even if I call them. But maybe should try??

PS - I did not checked settings for previous configuration as it was working perfectly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Windows Workgroups make a mess of alot of things.

Firstly for the workgroup to work all computers must be in the same subnet.

The switch is switch via the mac tables.

Too be honest, this sounds very messy. Too get the ball rolling, try removing the workgroup.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You need a router. There can be no guarantee that you'll get two addresses in the same subnet, you were probably just lucky in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Alun wrote: »
    You need a router. There can be no guarantee that you'll get two addresses in the same subnet, you were probably just lucky in the past.

I was thinking about it, I already use switch to divide internet signal. But it happened that next day everything was OK again. I wonder if the problem was additional gateway (85.134.192.1 beside 85.134.128.1)? Now both computers use 85.134.128.1 and the same mask. But from Monday to Wednesday they permanently log into different gateways/masks. Maybe it was something with Clearwire's connection?
    Thanks anyway for answers, I was just wondering if anyone has similar experience with CW..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There are similar questions all the time on the Broadband forum from people who have UPC cable and are using the old Scientific Atlanta cable modems. Usually it's from people who have 3 or 4 PC's connected to the modem via a switch, and get all kinds of 'sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't' scenarios, depending on the mood of UPC's DHCP server.

Anyway, regardless of all this, it makes good sense to have a NAT router between you and the Internet for security reasons. They're not expensive, plus the vast majority have wireless capability too which although you might not need it now, could come in useful later.

Advertisement