Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cordyline Tree Roots-How deep do they go?

Options
  • 28-04-2010 10:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

I had some of these Cordyline trees in my back garden cut down a while ago.They were blocking sunlight to my kitchen.

I have 2 tree stumps left,that stick up about 2 feet above the ground

Are the main roots of these trees deep down or are they shallow?

And whats the best way to get the bloody things out of the ground?

Many thanks.:)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

So no one can help then????:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 36 frodos63

I had one die that was in a half barrel for a few years and the roots had spread all round the space in the barrel, don't know if that is any help in your situation good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

frodos63 wrote: »
    I had one die that was in a half barrel for a few years and the roots had spread all round the space in the barrel, don't know if that is any help in your situation good luck
    i have heard they are shallow spread out from tree

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Velvet shank

Fairly shallow in my experience....should be easy to dig out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Thanks,nice to hear that its a shallow root thing and not some mad thing to goes halfway to China.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

Hi Paddy,
    Have you pulled it yet.
    I'd be very interested to know as I have one in front garden which I planted 6 years ago ,its now 5foot high but is leaning over . Can't seem to straighten ,tried everything. But it does seem that it might not be secure enough in ground so was thinking of digging up and re planting.
    I'm dreading the thought really.

Incidently the stump you have now if planted again will grow into one of those '2 or 3' trunk cordalynes.

Advertisement