Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question about the patch

Options
  • 28-04-2010 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

i know this isnt a medical forum and it isnt really a medical issue, just a question in relation to the contraceptive patch. i have started on the patch a month ago, my first time using a contraceptive. You wear the patch each week for 3 weeks and then take a break for a week. My change day has been every thursday and I am currently on my week off from wearing it......Now here is where my question lies. Tomorrow is thursday and i presumed i start my new months cycle wearing the patch tomorrow. I was having a conversation with my friend today about it and she says to leave the patch off for 7 days and start wearing it again on the 8th day..this being friday. Now im confused as to start wearing it tomorrow or start it friday. She uses an oral contraceptive and starts her cycle on the 8th day after her week off. Am I making sense?? Im goin to the pharmacy tomorrow to get a new prescription and I will ask the pharmacist but just thoguht id ask here too.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

the leaflet that came with it should explain it clearly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Ollchailin

Hi OP,

I use it too & my change day is also Thursday & after my week off I just put the 1st of the new set on on the Thursday again. Otherwise sure you'd be on a new change day every month & that's confusing (especially cos your period would start on a different day every month as well, whereas I'm pretty much guaranteed mine will come on the Sunday or Monday at the latest)

Been on it for around a year now with no problems. Nice not to have to remember the pill every day even if it is more expensive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I change it at the same time every week. At the end of week 3 when I would usually change it, I remove it. The follwing week at the same time I replace it.

So basically I always remove and replace it on a Sunday.

If memory serves the leaflet specifically states that it is to be changed at the same time every week, within a two hour timeframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭duracell_bunny

I've been on the patch for over a year now. I just picked a day of the week that suited me (Saturday) and now every Saturday I take off the current patch and stick on the new one. Then comes the Sat when I take off third one and wear none for the week. Then the fourth Sat, I start a new pack. If you do what your friend is suggesting then you'll end up changing it on a different day every time you go to a new pack.

Advertisement