Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phormiums and Escallonia Gold brian

Options
  • 28-04-2010 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

I have alot of sifferent phormiums planted around a pond and most look in very bad health in that they have turned brown due to the extremely harsh winter. Am I right to assme that they are dead and should be replanted with new ones? Also Escallonia Gold brian have lost all their leaves and have not appeared to be budding yet. Can these be recovered by hard pruning or will they return over time. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

I don't know what part of the country you are in so not sure how bad the snow was and how cold it got at it's coldest. . .

The majority of Escallonias did not survive the winter cold. . I have some in my garden but do have some green leaves still. I've pruned it back hard and I'll see how it is looking by the end of the summer.

Because of the leaf structure of the Phormiums the snow settled in the centre of the plant and sat there freezing and thawing, the result: damp, wet, mouldy and yuck! You could try taking off the really bad leaves and leave them a while and see. Although if you see white fungus/mould in the centre that is usually the end of them.

If it was my Phormium I'd try tidying and trimming and giving it a chance. I'm always optimistic and tend to give stuff a chance to survive because I hate admitting defeat, but that's just me! :rolleyes:

Advertisement